GSB keeps finance committee intact

Steven Brittain

Paul Duncan’s position on the Government of the Student Body Senate Finance Committee is safe after the senate voted against his removal at the last GSB meeting.

The bill, sponsored by Matt Ostanik, IFC, was voted down 23-4 Wednesday night after the senate debated the bill in closed executive session. There were seven abstentions on the senate order, which stated that Duncan’s presence on the finance committee created a conflict of interest due to his personal efforts to end GSB’s funding Veishea.

Duncan is attempting to gain 2,000 signatures for a student referendum that would have students vote on whether GSB should fund Veishea.

Because Duncan’s proposed removal from the finance committee was a personnel issue, Ostanik called for the matter to be dealt with in executive session. This required all gallery members and press, as well as GSB President Ben Golding, to leave the room.

Ostanik said the discussion was healthy for the senate.

“I’m really glad we talked about it,” he said. “Regardless of the outcome, it was very much worth discussing.”

After the vote, Duncan was quick to reassure the members of the senate that he will do his best to remain objective for the duration of his term.

“I’m very pleased with the outcome,” Duncan said. “It was looked at in a fair, unbiased way. I’m excited to continue my service with the GSB Finance Committee.”

One of Duncan’s strongest advocates has been GSB Finance Director Stephen Medanic, who said Duncan is an asset to the committee. Medanic said he is satisfied with the decision of the senate.

“Senate made the right decision,” he said. “I don’t think that it’s right to remove somebody from their office for what they might do. If you are going to remove someone, you remove them because they aren’t doing their job correctly. Paul Duncan has done his job, and he’s done it fairly.”

Alex Olson, vice chairman of the finance committee, also was in support of the decision to not expel Duncan.

“I believe that the senate was fair and that they made a very wise decision. I’m happy to see the senate dispose of this matter in this way,” said Olson, off campus.

Michael Schaefer, one of the supporters of Ostanik’s senate order, said he was not angered by the senate’s decision.

“Paul Duncan’s ability to do the job was never in question,” said Schaefer, engineering. “I do believe that there is a conflict of interest, but I am still very happy to see him have his job.”

Some members of GSB were upset by the decision to push the issue into executive session.

Golding, who was excluded from the session, said the issue was being handled as if it was a lot more important than it actually was.

“We’re blowing a minor situation way out of proportion,” he said. “However, this does show people outside of student government that we can police ourselves effectively.”

Alex Rodeck, off campus, removed himself from the executive session because he said the principle behind it was wrong.

“I know that they can’t vote on anything in the session, but I don’t like discussions that are privatized,” he said. “If they had been able to bring it up in front of everyone, that would’ve been cool.”