Club introduces kids to farm

Kallie Milley

About 100 fourth-graders from the Ames School District learned firsthand the ins and outs of the dairy industry Thursday with the help of the ISU Dairy Science Club.

The field trip to the dairy farm is part of a publicity and educational initiative set up by the dairy club, said Megan Wonderlich, junior in animal science and pre-veterinary science.

The dairy club is looking to increase awareness and understanding of the dairy industry, said Wonderlich, committee chairperson of the Dairy Fun Day.

“It’s a way to get kids closer to agriculture since many of them don’t get personal experience on farms because such a large percentage live in towns or cities,” she said.

The dairy club started the elementary school program last spring when they had fourth-graders from Ames come visit the farm. Wonderlich said the club plans to continue providing the field trip to give students direct contact with agriculture.

The students are bused to the dairy farm by the club. This way, Wonderlich said, the field trip is free for students and the school. Plus, she said, it helps the Dairy Science Club spread information about their industry.

After arrival, the students were taken to four different stations on the dairy farm. At each station, members of the club gave the students a safe and realistic close-up view of the dairy industry. They also answered questions.

The stations included tractor safety, a milking parlor, an overview of the dairy industry and cow and calf nutrition. Students also had the opportunity to milk a cow by hand and pet a calf.

Sue Marshek, fourth-grade teacher from Edwards Elementary School, 3622 Woodland St., said the field trip is a good experience for the students.

“Any time they can get out of the classroom and learn firsthand it’s exciting for them,” she said.

Marshek and the other elementary teachers plan their lessons around the field trip so it fits in with what the kids are studying.

Marshek’s class just finished a unit on human nutrition, so learning about dairy cattle and the production of dairy products tied in well, she said. It also fit in well with the students’ social studies class, teaching the students about Iowa agriculture.

“It’s important for kids to be able to get in touch with where their food comes from,” said John Palmer, sophomore in pre-business. He’s also a Dairy Science Club member.

Iowa Dairy Princess Erin Schulte, freshman in pre-architecture, said she enjoyed the day, especially interacting with the elementary students.

“It’s important to me to be able to share my farm experiences with the kids,” she said. “It’s something worth sharing.”