Flu shot shortage won’t affect ISU

Rachel Meyerink

ISU faculty have a forum to express their views and stay informed through the Professional and Scientific Council.

“We represent all of the professional and scientific employees,” said President of the Council Kerry Anne Dixon. “[The group] acts in an advisory capacity to the university.”

Dixon, project coordinator in facilities, planning and management, said she has been involved with the council for the last three years. She said while council members are often asked their opinions on campus and university issues, it is not their main goal.

“The focus is more on representing P & S employees and policy that might effect them,” she said. “We represent six areas: academic research, student affairs, external affairs like athletics, business and financial, the Extension service and the Ames lab.”

Dixon said there are 32 members of the council, each of whom represents 75 employees at Iowa State and its extension services.

She said employees can talk to their council member to get their opinions and concerns heard during the council’s monthly meetings.

“We try to share information with the employees,” Dixon said.

She said the council tries to provide the truth about any rumors or campus issues that employees may not know about.

Catherine Good, program coordinator in the agriculture experiment station, said she is enjoying her first year serving as a P & S Council member.

“I like to know what’s going on with my employment,” she said.

She also said she feels she has an obligation to her peers to participate since it is important for employees to be heard and have questions asked about their opinions on university issues. Good said the P & S Council is not the first university faculty group she has participated in.

“I was involved in supervising confidential council for that group of staff, so it was a natural progression,” Good said.

Dixon said in addition to acting as a way for employees to interact, the group also serves a variety of other purposes.

She said some of these include forums during the lunch hour for employees, faculty and students on a variety of subjects.

“In the past we have covered topics like violence in the workplace and employee assistance,” she said. “We get funds for new and innovative ideas for recruitment and retention of students,” Dixon said about the recruitment and retention program, which the Council is a part of.

She also said the council has been involved in the projects like Safe Zone and learning groups.

“We get $30,000 in grant funding,” Dixon said. She said the group often funds programs during their trial period.

ISU faculty and staff interested in becoming involved in the P & S Council or their programs can find more information at www.public.iastate.edu/~ps_info/