GSB prepares for fall specials

Steven Brittain

In its annual fall special-allocation sessions, the Government of the Student Body will dole out about $10,000 among several student organizations.

The special funding process in the fall is similar to the main GSB-funding allocations in the spring. Last spring, GSB allocated more than $1.3 million in student fees to about 150 student groups, said Steve Medanic, GSB finance director.

“Groups that didn’t apply in regulars [allocations] and new groups that weren’t organized yet can go through special allocations to receive funds,” he said.

Alex Olson, vice chairman of the finance committee, said this money primarily is allocated to new groups for start-up expenses and to existing organizations with unforeseen expenses since spring allocations. However, no money will be given to groups not yet established, said Olson, off campus.

“Being that we are only giving away $10,000, we’re going to allocate this money to groups that are new, but that are already established,” he said. “Regular allocations in the spring is when we will look at students looking to start new clubs.”

Of the 16 groups with representatives at the mandatory special-allocations meeting last week, 12 submitted applications to be reviewed by the finance committee, Olson said. The ISU Beef Team, the Motorcycle Club, Cuffs, ISU-9, the ISU Space Club and the Zoo and Wildlife Club all have submitted applications to receive funding from Iowa State.

Olson said the decision whether to fund Cuffs, the controversial new campus organization that educates students about bondage, dominance and sado-masochism, will present a challenge to the finance committee and the senate.

“The first question we ask of any group is, `Is the organization legal?’,” he said. “Does Cuffs provide a consistent service? Is there an educational value? The committee has not yet determined whether they do qualify [for funding].”

Olson said personal beliefs and opinions will not come into play in the committee’s decision whether to fund Cuffs.

“We’ll certainly give them a fair hearing,” he said.

Medanic said the finance committee will hear about all the clubs’ budgets and then make recommendations.

“We will then author a bill and have it be put to senate for a vote,” he said.

Applications will be reviewed by the finance committee Oct. 13 and 14. The bills will be presented to the senate on Oct. 25 and the vote likely will take place Nov. 1.