Seagrave: No Veishea pledge

Valerie Davis

In an effort to keep the tradition of Veishea alive, Interim ISU President Richard Seagrave said he will lift the alcohol-free pledge that has been in effect for the past three Veishea celebrations.

Since the murder of Harold “Uri” Sellers during Veishea weekend in 1997, the ISU administration has enforced an alcohol-free pledge that included all ISU students. Last year, the pledge weathered fiery debate among the five student-government groups that had to adopt the pledge in order for Veishea to continue. While Veishea events will remain alcohol-free, the student governments will not have to take the pledge this year.

“I was afraid that not all the groups would agree to pass the pledge,” Seagrave said. “Under the previous arrangement, we might not have passed the pledge this year, and I didn’t want to risk that. I don’t feel it’s right for one group to decide the fate of something as big as Veishea.”

Lisa Dlouhy, Government of the Student Body vice president, said she agrees with Seagrave that a limited number of students shouldn’t decide something for the entire university.

“Having the pledge lifted is a good idea,” said Dlouhy, junior in genetics. “I don’t think there should be a vote that will determine if the event is held. The pledge gave a minority of students on campus the ability to end the organization.”

Brian Nash, Veishea co-chair, said the administration is making steps in the right direction by abandoning the pledge.

“It’s the university’s responsibility to make sure there is a safe environment for students during Veishea,” said Nash, junior in mechanical engineering.

He said the pledge did not have the effect the administration desired in the past because of so much student opposition over the past few years. However, Seagrave said the pledge should not have been an extreme burden for the students.

“It is [the administration’s] prerogative to make the rules on campus,” he said. “To be alcohol-free is not an unusual request for one weekend out of the year.”

Nash said lifting the pledge is a more honest approach to handling things by the administration.

“The administration is taking responsibility now,” he said. “It’s their job to create a safe environment for the students.”

Kathy Craig, Veishea co-chair, said she doesn’t think students will notice any big difference in the celebration now that the pledge is lifted, although the details are still up in the air.

“Students need to recognize Veishea is alcohol-free to keep it safe,” said Craig, senior in finance and Spanish. “By having the administration lift the pledge, it shows they trust the students to be responsible for their behaviors. I think that is a good thing.”

However, certain policies will remain in effect Veishea weekend pertaining to alcohol consumption, Seagrave said. All the events are going to be alcohol-free, and students may be disciplined for having alcohol on campus. Seagrave is still working to define the boundaries of the policies, he said.

“A lot of students weren’t here when the pledge was first administered,” Dlouhy said. “This could help us move past the problems with the pledge into a positive direction. We should work with what we have now. If we focus on all the negatives, we will lose the advantage we have with the administration to work problems out with them.”

Nash said he hopes students won’t focus on not being able to drink but rather on the positives Veishea has to offer.

“I would like to see students get excited about Veishea as a celebration of excellence,” he said. “They shouldn’t focus on the external issues such as drinking and should realize the administration is trying to be student-friendly about these issues.”

Seagrave said he believes Veishea has been viewed negatively because of the alcohol-related problems of the past, but he is trying to turn the image around.

“This is the only weekend of the year we are under a microscope because the media comes to Ames,” he said. “The media keeps track of stories about the weekend, and we are under great scrutiny. Handling the problems associated with alcohol is a step in the right direction to stop these problems.”