Memorial Union provides artists workspace

Beth Kohoutek

For artists seeking the perfect place to whet their creative appetites, the Workspace may provide the answer. Located in the east basement of the Memorial Union, the Workspace is a haven for many kinds of artists, from shutterbugs to belly dancers. The Workspace is the only pay-by-the-day studio in Ames. It houses a dark room, a wood shop, nine pottery wheels, jewelry making and screen-printing equipment. “The Workspace is rather unique. There aren’t many other facilities that offer the diversity that it does,” said ISU alumnus Ann Brockman, a Workspace photography instructor. Individuals can either pay a small daily fee ($2 for students, $3 for non-students) to work on personal projects or take classes to become more adept at any of the activities the Workspace offers. Classes, which range from $12 to $80, are conducted in various areas such as drawing, guitar, photography, pottery, calligraphy and belly dancing. Arianne Morgan, senior in marketing, is currently enrolled in a pottery class, one of the most popular programs offered. “I’ve always wanted to learn to do pottery,” she said. “I like having a place to go once a week to learn and have fun.” Workspace programs have some advantages over university accredited design classes, such as availability and price. “It’s nice because for a lot of art classes on campus, you have to have prerequisites, and they are really hard to get into,” Morgan explained. “[At the Workspace] you’re not graded and it’s not for credit. There’s no real pressure on you.” Theresa Cannon, Program Advisor of Arts, estimated that the Workspace’s clientele was equally split between students and non-students. Brockman agreed and said the programs have helped a lot of people renew their interest in art. Cannon said one of her goals for the Workspace is to increase awareness of its presence by getting more people involved. She estimated that about 10 to 20 people take advantage of the facility per evening. According to pottery instructor Greg Lamont, one of the reasons people don’t know about the Workspace is because of its rather hidden location. “It’s the best kept secret on campus,” he said. “It is a marvelous, underutilized resource for students.” An enormous mural depicting vivid landscape scenes now covers much of the entryway to the Workspace as an effort to improve the area. The mural was painted last summer by six art students and a faculty advisor. Cannon said because the Workspace is an art facility, it was fitting that something artistic adorn the walls. “I love the mural,” Brockman added. “I think it is wonderful. It really pulls you in.” The Workspace is also offering a new mat cutting service this semester. For $2 individuals can bring in a mat board, with lines drawn where they want the window for their artwork, and Workspace staff will cut it to their specifications. Workspace hours are Monday through Thursday from 3:15 p.m. to 10 p.m. and Saturday from noon to 5 p.m. For more information and a list of all the classes with their descriptions, visit the Workspace’s web site.