Vegetarian diet may be healthier

Rachel Meyerink

Vegetarian diets are becoming increasingly popular as people become more health-conscious, and food service options are expanding to reflect that trend. Plant-based diets have been shown to have positive effects on health by decreasing fat and cholesterol, increasing fiber, helping with weight management and lowering the risk for chronic diseases such as heart disease, diabetes and cancer, according to a pamphlet issued by ISU Extension. “Vegetarians generally are very healthy,” said Becky Hammitt, registered dietitian at the ISU Wellness Center. ISU Dining Services is testing new menu options in the Oak-Elm Dining Center. “We are trying to feature a vegetarian entree at every meal,” said Dawn Fiihr, assistant manager at Oak-Elm dining center. The menu, which includes vegetarian hot dogs, hamburgers and sausage patties, has been well-received, said Fiihr, but the dining center is in the process of developing new entrees and discontinuing items that are not popular choices. Lee Alekel, assistant professor of food science and human nutrition, said she urges students contemplating a vegetarian diet to visit a dietitian first. Dietitians can help design a diet that caters to the individual’s specific needs as a vegetarian, she said. Private nutrition consultations are available to students at the ISU Student Wellness Center. “Vegetarian diets are often more healthy if it’s done right,” Alekel said. However, there are nutritional concerns that are especially relevant for vegetarians. Deficiencies in iron, protein, calcium and vitamin B-12 are cause for concern in vegetarians, Hammitt said. Iron is a mineral commonly found in red meat that is responsible for supplying oxygen to the cells of the body. When iron supplied by the diet is not adequate, iron deficiency anemia can result, Hammitt said. Symptoms of anemia include fatigue, weakness and pica, which is the craving of dirt, ice and laundry soap, she said. Vegetarian Jana Meyer, senior in dietetics, sad she makes sure to eat plenty of iron-fortified cereal and whole grains in order to fulfill her dietary needs. Meyer said her blood iron level has always been low, but she is not anemic. Spinach, nuts, dried fruits, beans and dark-green leafy vegetables are sources of iron, Hammitt said. It is best to accompany iron-rich foods with citrus fruits, which increases the absorption of the minerals, while calcium and caffeine decrease the absorption of iron, she said. Vegetarians should make sure to supplement their diet with vitamin B-12, which is found exclusively in animal products, Hammitt said. Deficiency can lead to neurological damage and anemia in vegans, who do not consume meat, milk or eggs. The use of vitamin B-12 supplements in fortified foods is recommended to maintain a safe level, according to the ISU Extension pamphlet. Calcium, the mineral found most commonly in dairy products, is another nutrient that vegans must incorporate into their diet. Good nondairy sources of calcium include broccoli or calcium-fortified products, such as soy milk, Alekel said. If meat is cut from a diet, it needs to be replaced with other sources of protein. Eggs, dairy products, nuts, seeds, tofu and legumes such as beans and peas are good sources of protein, she said.