New book documents work of legendary Iowa State sculptor Christian Petersen

Lisa Schumacher

No one has more sculpture on Iowa State’s campus than Christian Petersen. “Christian Petersen, Sculptor,” a new book about his work and life, was released in August in conjunction with a Brunnier Gallery exhibit focusing on the artist. It runs through Dec. 31. Born in 1885 in Denmark, Petersen journeyed to Ames in 1934. His original intention was to stay at ISU for a few months to complete a campus sculpture project. He remained a faculty member and the country’s first known sculptor-in-residence until 1955. Lea Rosson DeLong is the guest curator for the Christian Petersen exhibit and she also wrote the manuscript for “Christian Petersen, Sculptor,” which was produced to accompany the exhibit. Combined, they document his importance to 20th Century American art. “I think it helps us to see him not just as someone who is quite beloved at ISU, but a sculptor of considerable achievement,” Rosson DeLong said. “Christian Petersen, Sculptor,” contains a large catalogue of all Petersen’s known work. It also describes the art conservation process, his life history and explains the process of his work. The exhibit “also includes drawings and other work which reveal the intellectual, personal, spiritual and creative qualities that the multi-talented Petersen brought to his art and his life,” Rosson DeLong wrote in her curator’s mission statement. Rosson DeLong conducted research on Christian Petersen for three years in order to produce the manuscript for “Christian Petersen, Sculptor.” Ten years ago, she wrote an essay on Petersen. She gathered information about the sculptor from ISU’s Special Collections Library. Since Petersen did not write much about his work, Rosson DeLong received information from his wife, Charlotte. Charlotte Petersen gathered papers and documents about her husband’s sculpting career. Although Rosson DeLong wrote “Christian Petersen, Sculptor,” many people contributed to the publication of the book. Lynette Pohlman, director of University Museums at Iowa State, was the project manager of “Christian Petersen, Sculptor.” She selected the contributors and formed a preliminary outline for the book. The purpose of “Christian Petersen, Sculptor” was to “document the pieces in the exhibit, as well as place Petersen in context of American artists,” Pohlman said. It’s been 50 years since Petersen retired, but his artwork still stands prominently on campus. “Christian Petersen, Sculptor” and the Brunnier Art Museum exhibit are intended to remind ISU students, the Ames community and America of his contributions to American art. “Petersen kept it in mind that his work would by seen by students for many years. They might not necessarily know anything specific about him or the work,” Rosson DeLong said. “But it would begin to be part of the education and consciousness and would add to the enrichment of their time at ISU.”