ISU9 fall TV preview

Beth Kohoutek

Are you tired of switching on the television only to find eternal “Say What? Karaoke” reruns on MTV? Are you looking for a fresh perspective of all the political hoopla on the tube these days? How about a little comic relief now that the first weeks of classes are over and papers and tests are starting to snowball? You can put the remote down. ISU9, Iowa State’s own cable television station is offering a combination of all these things. ISU9 boasts a fresh blend of comedy, news, weather, sports, politics, animation, music and campus issues. “We are really excited by the variety of programming being offered this year,” said ISU9 General Manager Jen Spencer, senior in journalism and mass communications. “We’ve got a wide variety of shows that appeal to just about everyone.” At least four new shows will team up with old favorites, giving ISU9 over 15 shows – more than ever before. Here is a quick rundown of some of the shows making their debuts on ISU9. Politics Unlimited A show like this could not be more timely with Nov. 2 looming just a few months away. “It just made sense to do it this year with the presidential elections ahead,” said producer Aaron Fister, junior in management and information systems. But this will not be the typical mudslinging brawl one would expect to find on television during election year. “I don’t want my goal to be going directly after the other side,” Fister explained. “It is not meant to be argumentative. We don’t plan on looking negatively at everything the other side is about.” Instead, “Politics Unlimited” will offer a unique look at many points of view, emcompassing a variety of relevant topics, including the presidential race. “We will be finding new angles on things based on participating members’ opinions,” Fister said. “Politics Unlimited” will consist of many segments, the meat of which will be several eight- to ten-minute debates about political affairs. It will also feature current events, man-on-the-spot interviews around campus and more. “Politics Unlimited” is still looking for individuals and student groups who want to help out with the show. Tryouts will be held this Sunday from 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. in Studio B of the Communications Building. Backstage Pass The goal of this new program is to showcase and promote local and regional musical talent, from Grubby Ernie to the ISU Orchestra. “I want this to be a diverse show,” said producer Craig Olson, junior in music. “I’m open to any kind of music.” The show will consist of a live set of tunes, followed by an interview session with the performers. “Then we may have a spot where we take a camera out and hang out with the band,” Olson said. The show will help local musicians gain exposure by giving people an opportunity to hear their sounds and learn a little more about them. Grubby Ernie, Pookey Bleum and Mediocre Superheroes are just a few of the bands Olson has contacted to play. “The more we can get the word out, the better,” Olson said. “It will really be a fun show,” Bands and musical groups who are interested in performing on “Backstage Pass” can contact ISU9 for more information. Dig Game Show “I want this show to be the voice of ISU,” said co-producer Darryl Frierson, sophomore in history and journalism and mass communications. “It will cover the whole spectrum. Everyone gets a say on my show. I don’t care who you are. If you’ve got something to say, come on my show, and I’ll interview you.” This variety show, hosted by Diggame (Frierson), will incorporate a Letterman/Leno feel, but with a twist – it is broadcast from Frierson’s dorm room. “It will be a more comfortable setting for the guests. You can come in, sit on my couch, have a soda, and we’ll talk,” Frierson said. “I may not agree with you, but it’s a free country. You can say what you want.” Topics will differ on each episode, but Frierson said his guests will include student senators, local musicians and random students. “It will be off the hook,” Frierson said. The Worst Show Take a little bit of Saturday Night Live’s format and mix it with creative humor from some computer engineering students, and what do you get? “The Worst Show”. “We considered naming it `The One Good Show,’ but that would be conceited,” said co-producer Brian Hof, junior in computer engineering. “It’s funny to mock yourself. If it does end up being the worst show, we won’t have lost anything. We wanted to try to rejuvenate the creative juices that we lost coming from high school to the College of Engineering.” “The Worst Show” will consist of a compilation of short skits, mock commercials, and music video humor. There will be one-time as well as serial skits. “One continuing sketch we have is `Guinness Man,'” Hof said. “In each new sketch, Guinness Man is trying to break a new world record, like the most consecutive somersaults.” The show will have much of the same format as “Saturday Night Live,” but will have a unique humor that appeals to a broader range of viewers. “`SNL’ makes fun of people,” Hof said. “We want our characters to be bright and memorable with a more universal humor, while also including ISU events.” Burly Bear “Burly Bear” is different from other ISU9 productions because it is a one-hour syndicated comedy produced by a students in New York City, who are affiliated with ISU9. In recent episodes, they have interviewed celebrities such as Elizabeth Shue and Kevin Bacon, said Co-Programming Manager John Woods, sophomore in journalism and mass communications. They will also be broadcasting old “Saturday Night Live” reruns in upcoming weeks. In addition to these new shows, many other shows are currently in the early stages of pre-production in the ISU9 studios. ISU9 is teaming up with the Lectures Program and GSB to broadcast speakers coming to ISU and GSB meetings. Some of last season’s popular programming will also be returning this fall. Shows like “FAC,” “1800 Seconds,” “Triple Threat,” “Cy’s Eyes on the Skies,” and many more are coming back strong this year, Woods said. ISU9’s popular nightly news and information show, which is an adaptation of last year’s “InCYde Out,” has undergone a transformation this semester. It is being produced by the Journalism 354 class, Intermediate Studio Production. It airs live Monday through Friday and is produced by a different group of journalism students each night of the week. Students will have a chance to find out more about ISU9 at “ISU9 Day at the M-Shop” on Oct. 5, from 11 p.m. to 2 p.m. at the Maintenance Shop. “It will feature on-air ISU9 personalities doing their thing,” Spencer said. “It’s an opportunity for students to meet their favorite ISU9 personalities.” Because it is still early in the semester, exact program times have not yet been determined and more shows, will be added to the lineup. A full program schedule should be online at www.stuorg.iastate.edu/isu9, no later than Oct. 1. Links to all show web pages and how to contact ISU9 producers and managers can also be found there.