Exercise can help relieve stress

Rachel Meyerink

The stress caused by complications of college life – roommates, classes, tests and jobs – may be relieved with regular exercise, health professors said. “Research has shown that exercise is one of the most reliable mood manipulators,” said Panteleimon Ekkekakis, assistant professor of health and human performance. The mood improvement experienced during exercise may be attributed to many things. When stressed or in a bad mood, heart rate, blood pressure and levels of stress hormones increase. Exercise can weaken stress’s effects, Ekkekakis said. Stress may be relieved by the increased body temperature, a rise in endorphins (chemicals similar to morphine) or changes in brain wave activity, he said. “There are no definitive answers,” he said. “It might not even be exercise but that you took a break from all of the stress and hassles of daily life.” Terry Mason, psychologist and director of ISU Student Counseling Services, said he recommends that his clients exercise at least three times a week. “Exercise gives more energy to those feeling down or depressed,” he said. “It provides a release, whether it is from stress or a bad mood.” Mason said because exercise gets the body in shape, it has a “positive influence on mental outlook.” “Instead of taking a nap, go out and get your blood pumping,” he said. Some students exercise to maintain mental health also. “Exercise invigorates me,” said Nick White, junior in landscape architecture. He said if he is in a bad mood or stressed, he will run, sometimes up to 10 miles. “Exercise gives me time to think things through,” White said. “It always puts me in a better mood.” Ekkekakis said it doesn’t take an intense workout to see differences. “The best exercise for improving mood is a self-selective intensity walk,” he said. “More intensity isn’t necessarily better for mood improvement.” Ekkekakis added exercise is very important in a college environment. “Remember, the mind and body are connected,” he said.