GSB funds `Meet Your Government Day’

Steven Brittain

The Government of the Student Body voted 25-4 Wednesday evening to allocate $784 to fund “Meet Your Government Day,” which is slated for Oct. 4. “Meet Your Government Day” is a student-run event that gives ISU students an opportunity become better acquainted with their student representatives and the issues that are facing GSB and the entire university. The main issue of debate on this bill was the exact amount GSB wanted to sponsor toward the event. The original draft of the bill, which underwent two amendments before it was approved, called for $1,240 to be allocated to cover the cost of food, pop, a tent, advertising and other miscellaneous items needed to run the event. Several senators had issues with GSB spending that much money on self-promotion. “We’re giving money to ourselves to hand out free stuff on campus,” said Matt Ostanik, IFC. “GSB needs to hold themselves to the same standard that they hold the student-run groups.” GSB President Ben Golding proposed an amended version of the bill to cut the costs from $1,240 to $260. Golding recommended the removal of the food, pop, tent rental and advertising from the event’s budget. Since GSB does not fund the purchase of food and novelties by other student organizations, Golding said GSB self-funding standards should be no different. “With this amendment, we won’t fund stuff that we wouldn’t fund for the other student organizations,” Golding said. However, some senators feel GSB needs strong student support for the tuition debate, so the senate voted to include the food and beverages into the event to promote a higher student turn out. Greg Tew, off campus, proposed an amendment to Golding’s amendment that would cover required items along with the food and beverages. Tew’s version of the bill called for a total of $784 to be allocated.