Inmates attend Hawthorn dedication

Pat Racette

Allen Smiley of the North Central Correctional Facility has spent four months at Iowa State unloading, moving and delivering furniture by elevators or stairs. “Just getting away and helping time go by quicker is the best part of the job,” said Smiley, who is serving a double 10-year prison sentence in Rockwell City for drug possession. “The time is easier, and staying active helps me forget the time.” Smiley was on campus Thursday as the Iowa Prison Industries dedicated the furniture Smiley and other inmates installed and delivered at the Hawthorn Court apartment complex. The celebration highlighted the completion of about 10,000 pieces of furniture for Iowa State. Smiley and 11 other inmates moved oak desks, filing drawers and beds with dressers during the ceremony. Roger Baysden, director of Iowa Prison Industries, modeled the desks, wardrobes and bed frames installed in Hawthorn at the ceremony. He also showed the oak ladder and dresser that was installed in Maple Hall last year. After the commencement Director of Residence Randy Alexander took visitors on a tour of the apartments complex. “In picking the furniture, we brought in eight companies and some students to select furniture,” he said. “After the students had agreed upon two companies and the Iowa Prison Industries had picked three of the pieces, we tested for durability and went ahead and bought it.” Apartments in Hawthorn are carpeted and furnished, and they include cable and ethernet capability. The apartments also have separate rooms for sinks, a shower and laundry. “The apartments are mainly non-smoking and for upper-class, single students, such as juniors and seniors,” Alexander said. Alexander said he recommends other universities look into hiring and accepting bids from Prison Industries. He added that another contract between Iowa State and Prison Industries is in the works because of the remarkable profits and a 48 percent sales increase. “Students are happy with Maple Hall, and it has been a good learning opportunity for students,” said Warren Madden, vice president for Business and Finance. Some students are not bothered by the inmates or do not know of their work. “I think it is a great idea to save money and help the low-level offenders rehabilitate,” said Ryan Lamb, senior in engineering.