New program at ISU sixth in United States

Tara Payne

Starting this fall, Iowa State will be educating graduate students to stop hackers and viruses from creating havoc on the Internet and with computer security.

The Board of Regents approved at its meeting last week a new interdepartmental masters of science degree in information assurance (computer security).

“There’s a critical shortage of professionals in information assurance, both in the private and government sectors,” said Doug Jacobson, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering.

Jacobson, who helped develop the ISU program, said the field has not been tapped by universities nationwide.

“There’s not a lot of faculty nationwide,” he said. “In order to put together a program like this, you need a fair amount of faculty and good courses.”

Iowa State’s program is the first one like it in the state and only one of six nationwide.

Jacobson said the field is relatively new and therefore unique. “Security is much more than technology,” he said.

He said security also entails policy and ethical issues in addition to technology.

“By bringing in a very diverse group of faculty, this major is able to address all those issues,” Jacobson said.

The degree will address diversity issues by being interdepartmental, he said, drawing on resources from seven ISU departments.

Those are: electrical and computer engineering, computer science, mathematics, industrial manufacturing systems engineering, political science, management information systems and library sciences.

“Students will be admitted into their ‘home department,’ and then they’ll take a series of courses, which are tailor-based on their background,” Jacobson said.

He said people who are more interested in policy will take a different set of courses than a person who wants to develop the latest security software, but all students will end up with a more broadened education.

James Melsa, dean of the College of Engineering, said the interdisciplinary aspects of the degree benefits the program.

“I think it’s very good that it’s an interdisciplinary program,” Melsa said. “It’s not strictly an engineering problem; it’s a problem that is multidisciplinary by nature.”

Melsa said the interest will be high for students who want to enroll in the program and for businesses affected by security problems.

“As more people do business on the Internet, you want to make sure your messages get there and get there securely,” Melsa said.

Employment opportunities will be there when Iowa State graduates people who can help companies with computer-security problems, Melsa said, adding that companies lose money every year from viruses and stolen information.

The masters program won’t be limited to students studying in Ames.

Jacobson said the university plans to offer off-campus courses via video and Internet.

“We hope to reach much farther beyond Iowa State students,” Jacobson said.