Consolidation budget approved

Zhaia Wineinger

The plan to consolidate food services on the ISU campus has crossed another hurdle.

Budgeting for the project to merge food services beginning in the fall of 2001 was approved earlier this month. According to the plan, students will be able to use their meal plans at all food locations across campus, from Dining Services to the Memorial Union’s food court.

Warren Madden, ISU vice president for Business and Finance, said the merger will have a positive effect on the university and its students.

“This merger will result in additional efficiency, benefiting both the students and the organization,” Madden said.

The merger will affect all dining areas at Iowa State, but students likely will be most affected by the coordination between the residence department’s dining centers and the Memorial Union, said Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs.

The merger will allow students who purchase meal plans to use them anywhere on campus instead of just in designated places, he said.

ISU officials believe the new plan will get students more enthused about eating on campus and expand their range of choices.

Jennifer Richardson, senior in secondary education, said she would be more apt to buy a meal plan under this new arrangement.

Richardson said she “hated having to go all the way back to the dorms to eat.”

One of the benefits students will see within the new food venues will be a better variety in food choices, such as more ethnic foods and better options for vegetarians, Hill said.

Besides adding diversity to the menu, extended hours at various Dining Services are being worked on, Hill said.

Michelle Albers, junior in early childhood education, said she believes extending the hours of the Dining Services would benefit students with busy schedules.

“I like the idea of the extended hours because I eat at different times every day, sometimes really late, after being at the library all night,” Albers said.

“I appreciate the fact that the university is catering to the students’ needs when it comes to this issue.”

The new plan will also allow students an opportunity to dine with faculty and staff members more easily, because they will have more places to meet other than the Union or somewhere off campus, Hill said.

Madden said offering this plan could increase the university’s cost for food services 10 to 11 percent. However, this increase could be offset by the expected increase of 10 to 15 percent in food sales at the Memorial Union and dining centers.