Move Jischke to Boone

Ben Ferrell and Carl Adams

The university’s decision to name the new honors building after Martin Jischke is the defective ending to an all-around defective plan.

Why are we naming such a building after the president Iowa State didn’t want?

Jischke was one hell of a fund-raiser. Beyond that, there wasn’t much substance to his presidency. Besides, aren’t buildings usually named after individuals with some kind of relation to the building’s purpose?

Heady Hall is named for the economist, Atanasoff Hall remembers our computer whiz, Snedecor Hall is named after the statistician, etc.

Do we want to name the honors building, a building devoted towards learning, after a man who valued research as this university’s top priority? Perhaps renaming a dorm after him would be a more suitable fit.

There’s another problem with the honors building, far more serious than its name. The construction and existence of the building is set to butcher central campus, one of the most beautiful aspects of Iowa State. This university is recognized as having one of the top campuses in the country.

Despite explanations that the building will be a nice fit to the area, we expect most students and faculty would agree that building on central campus is a bad idea.

There MUST be other options for the location of the honors building that would leave our campus in its uncorrupted condition. May we suggest Boone?

Ben Ferrell

Senior

English

Carl Adams

Sophomore

Economics