Briefs

Daily Staff Writer

Primary elections narrow down candidates

The Ames primary elections were held Tuesday to narrow down the Democratic and Republican candidates for the November election.

The results, courtesy of the Story County Auditor’s Office, are as follows:

* Incumbent Leonard Boswell, Democrat, was uncontested for U.S. representative, third district. He garnered 1,841 votes.

Boswell will run against Republican Jay Marcus, who took 955 votes to beat Philip Ferren, 577 votes.

* Incumbent Jane Greimann received 898 votes for the Democratic nomination for state representative, 61st district.

Republican challenger Steve Halloran received 480 votes.

* Incumbent Paul Fitzgerald, Democrat, received 1,698 votes for the Story County sheriff’s race.

Terry Stark, Republican, received 1,654 votes.

Neither candidate was contested.

* Incumbent Judy Emmons, Democrat, took 1,759 votes in the county auditor’s primary.

Mary Mosiman, Republican, took 1,552.

Neither candidate was contested.

* Wayne Clinton won the Democratic nomination for Story County supervisor with 1,183 votes. Clinton beat Bob Sinclair and Jim Cooper, 562 and 283 votes respectively.

Republican Gary Titus won a close race against David Deyoe, 886 votes to 867.

All totals are unofficial until the canvas election meeting June 13 at 2 p.m. at the Story County Courthouse.

— Tara Payne

Alcoholics Anonymous to meet on campus

Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) will now hold meetings on the ISU campus to help students, faculty and staff members with substance-abuse problems.

The meetings will be every Friday at 4:10 p.m. in Room 233 of the Memorial Union. They are expected to last one hour.

For more information, call Linda Ciccone at 294-9020.

— Tara Payne

EOP begins summer program

The Early Outreach Program (EOP) kicks off its summer 2000 program at Iowa State on June 11.

The program was created to encourage students to start preparing for college at an early age.

Participants in EOP first have to meet several criteria to take part in the weeklong program.

They must have demonstrated potential for academic success at a college or university through a recommendation of a teacher or counselor.

Participants also have to be eighth, ninth or 10th grade students, minorities or part of the Educational Talent Search.

EOP is free of charge to participants but is limited to only 60 students.

Program dates are June 11-16 for 10th graders, June 18-23 for ninth graders and June 25-30 for eighth graders.

The program is sponsored by the College Bound Program, the Department of Residence, Educational Talent Search, LEAD Program, Minority Student Affairs and the Science Bound Program.

—Justin Kendall