ISU prof’s study links video games, violence

Kristen Ehlers

A recent article co-authored by an ISU professor links violent behavior in children to violence in video games, TV and movies.

Craig Anderson, ISU professor and chairman of psychology, and Karen Dill, of the Department of Psychology at Lenoir-Rhyne College in Hickory, N.C., published the article, “Video Games and Aggressive Thoughts, Feelings and Behavior in the Laboratory and in Life” in the Journal of Personality and Social Psychology.

A portion of the article states: “The active nature of the learning environment of the video game suggests that this medium is potentially more dangerous than the more heavily investigated television and movie media.

“With the recent trend towards greater realism and more graphic violence in video games and the rising popularity of these games, consumers of violent video games [and parents of consumers] should be aware of these potential risks.”

Anderson said “violent TV shows cause increased aggression and kids exposed to violent TV grow up more aggressive. More recent research is being done in the video-game industry.”

In an experiment that was conducted by Anderson and Dill, two studies examined the effects of video games on college students.

Study One found that “real-life, violent video game play was positively related to aggressive behavior and delinquency.” Study Two found that “laboratory exposure to a graphically violent video game increased aggressive thoughts and behavior.”

Anderson said these studies were conducted to help parents make better decisions regarding their children’s use of video games and movie and TV viewing.

“It comes down to concerns and understanding where human aggression comes from,” he said.

The article also examines the tragic Columbine High School shootings in Littleton, Colo.

It had been reported that the teen-age killers Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold enjoyed playing violent video games, including “Doom.”

Anderson’s research found that the average seventh-grader plays video games at least four hours a week, and about half of the games played are considered violent.

“Some people don’t believe that TV and video-game violence affect children,” Anderson said. “For a long time, people didn’t believe that smoking was bad for you either.”

However, some ISU students have mixed reactions to Anderson’s study.

Bob Kuczenski, junior in chemical engineering, said bad parenting is more of a factor in how children behave than whether they play violent video games.

“Violent or aggressive children are more a product of other environmental factors,” he said. “Blaming it on video games and movies is a cop-out.”

Nick Mostek, ISU graduate in physics, said he believes there may be a correlation, though, between children’s behavior and violence in the media.

“If violent games and movies weren’t out there, kids wouldn’t be as desensitized to violence as they are,” he said. “They wouldn’t be as used to the violence.”