Group takes ‘off beat’ approach to learning

Hannah E. Dobbs

ISU student Angela Nystrom is attempting to tackle what she thinks is a major problem at Iowa State — the lack of useful information students have when they graduate.

Nystrom, senior in electrical engineering, is a founder of a new ISU student club called the Organization for Better Education and Teaching (OFF BEAT). The group’s mission is to prepare students for life after college and to eliminate the simple regurgitation of facts presented in college classrooms, Nystrom said.

“Basically, we are a non-hostile group looking to get more stuff we can use on the job,” she said.

The group is still a work-in-progress.

The 10 members in the group try to get together a couple of times each month at Boheme Bistro, 2900 West St., but there aren’t any set meeting times as of now.

The main focus of the meetings, Nystrom said, is to invite both students and faculty members to an informal discussion to improve relations, talk about ideas and increase awareness of the organization.

The message is “the progression of education — it’s been rather stagnant,” Nystrom said. “A lot of times professors don’t understand what their students need, and some are just more interested in getting the class done to get back to their research.”

Not every educator on campus would agree with Nystrom. Thomas Hill, vice president for Student Affairs, said Iowa State prepares students for the real world while still teaching them important facts in the classroom.

However, he doesn’t think the group’s message is threatening or harmful.

“Typically, student groups have a positive impact on an institution,” he said.

As for the members of OFF BEAT, they’re on a mission to educate others about what they perceive as a lack of education at Iowa State.

Nystrom said one way the group plans to raise awareness is through small demonstrations, although she said they won’t be too elaborate.

“Our only demonstrations may include talking to students on campus or passing out flyers,” she said.

OFF BEAT members also plan to attend Government of the Student Body meetings when the fall semester commences.

As far as impacting the university, Nystrom said she hopes people don’t view her group’s message as a negative one.

“It shouldn’t have [a negative impact],” she said. “We’re really going to keep away from that.”

For more information about the organization, visit its Web site at www.geocities.com/offbeat_isu/index.html or e-mail members at [email protected]