New prof earns Veishea award

Jamie Lange

Among all the talented instructors at Iowa State, only one can be singled out as the Veishea Faculty Member of the Year.

A student who nominated an assistant professor of curriculum and instruction described Carol Fuhler as someone who “uses excellent teaching methods that keep the whole class excited about what we are learning,” and “takes an active interest in her students to help them be successful.”

Another student wrote on the nomination sheet that Fulher “cares about us and the success we can achieve. I hold this professor in high regard because of the knowledge that she holds and shares with us. No one deserves this award more than she. All my classmates would agree.”

The Veishea selection committee agreed, too.

At an April 13 reception, Matt Burns, Faculty Recognition co-chair, announced that Fuhler was chosen as the Veishea 2000 Faculty Member of the Year.

The Veishea selection committee picked a faculty member from each college, with more than 120 nominations.

Fulher was selected from those applications.

“[Burns] told me that the nomination statements for Fuhler, written by students, seemed more sincere than others,” said Cathy Curtis, college relations coordinator for the College of Education.

Curtis said this distinction is particularly rewarding for professors because students make the selection.

Fuhler agreed, crediting her students for her award.

“I am thoroughly pleased with all of my students,” she said. “Iowa State students are in a class all of their own.”

Fuhler said she was shocked when she heard she was selected. Having only been here a year, she said she was amazed there was such an award and also that she had been chosen.

“Absolutely astounded,” she said. “You could have rewritten the definition of astounded if you’d seen the expression on my face.”

Fuhler’s co-workers agreed she has been a valuable professor.

“Dr. Carol Fuhler is clearly an outstanding, student-centered faculty member. As department chair, I have heard numerous positive comments about her effective teaching, both in and out of the classroom,” said Ann Thompson, professor and chairwoman of curriculum and instruction.