Veishea Village lined with clubs

Lindsay Snitker

The sidewalks of central campus will be lined with booths and activities as the clubs and organizations in the Veishea Village inform students of the traditions at Iowa State.

The Village shows students what the Cyclone Family has to offer, said Kaleb Varrelmann, open house committee co-chair.

“The Veishea Village is a big celebration of what Veishea is and what our college is,” said Varrelmann, senior in dairy science.

The Village gives students a chance to find out what Iowa State’s clubs and organizations do throughout the year, he said.

It consists of Cy’s Big Top, the Cultural Festival and open houses along central campus and throughout university buildings, he said.

The open houses will feature more than 75 organizations and clubs. Events will include a human maze, pony rides, bingo, cherry pies and a water balloon catapult, said Charlotte Handschke, open house committee co-chair.

Organizations from campus and the Ames community will be providing information and other activities for visitors as well. The open house will run from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday.

At the cultural festival, students can sample many international foods and learn about the cultural groups on campus, Varrelmann said. There will be demonstrations on the cultural stage by the Karate and Tae Kwan Doe Clubs and the Royal Scottish Country Dancer’s Society.

The cultural stage will be on the west side of Curtiss Hall, and the International Food Fair will be in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

Cy’s Big Top will include activities such as a dunk tank, face painting, a petting zoo and other carnival games for children, Varrelmann said. It will be located on central campus, “under the big top.”

“I think it’s a great way for freshmen to learn about Veishea,” said Handschke, senior in dairy science.

Handschke said as a freshman, she though Veishea activities focused mainly on the parade. The Village gives students the opportunity to learn what is going on around campus and how to get involved, she said.