ISU Symphony Orchestra sets classic children’s tale to music

Kristen Ehlers

A musical performance of “Peter and the Wolf” and other familiar compositions will be performed by the ISU Symphony Orchestra on Saturday with Jane Cox, associate professor of theater, narrating. The concert, geared towards families, will follow the annual Easter egg hunt on central campus.

Mark Laycock, ISU director of orchestral activities, will conduct the performance. This is the first time that the orchestra will be giving a family concert.

“The music department has a long-standing tradition of family concerts,” Laycock says. “So it was a natural choice for the orchestra to take part.”

“Besides, the music on this program is a lot of fun for the musicians to play,” he adds. “Even though it is geared toward families, the music is quite challenging and satisfying. All in all, it will be a great way to end the year.”

The concert may be focused more on children, but the music is appropriate for people of all ages Laycock says.

“Seasoned concertgoers will recognize and enjoy these pieces,” he says. “And people unfamiliar with classical music will have a great time.”

A trio of other musical favorites will be performed along with “Peter and the Wolf.” “Mars” and “Jupiter” from Holst’s “The Planets” will be featured along with “Danse Infernale” from Stravinsky’s “Firebird.”

“Almost all of the works — ‘Peter and the Wolf,’ ‘The Planets,’ ‘The Firebird’ — are familiar to most of us through movies and television,” Laycock explains. “This is music with a great deal of emotional impact and audience appeal.”

Kristin Johannsen, violinist in the orchestra, says that they have been working on the music for about three weeks.

“‘Peter and the Wolf’ is something people probably recognize the main tune to,” Johannsen says. “It’s the original in cartoon music.”

“My favorite (piece) is ‘The Planets,’ the tunes just stick in my head,” she adds. “The Stravinsky is a close second, though, it’s really tough but also really interesting. There’s a lot going on, a lot to listen to. It moves really fast and it’s a real workout.”

Event organizers hope the concert will introduce classical music to a younger audience.

“The music is geared towards getting kids interested in orchestral music,” Johannsen says. “They’ll be getting a taste of something other than the ‘boring’ stuff you might think classical music is.”

Jane Cox, associate professor of theater, will narrate this classic tale. The story of “Peter and the Wolf” tells the tale of a little boy named Peter and his adventures. Solo instruments in the orchestra will play the main animal characters in the composition.

“I decided to narrate this because I was asked to do so and because I had heard others narrate this piece,” Cox says. “It always seemed like great fun. I haven’t done this particular piece before, although I have been a part of children’s concerts before. The music selected will have an emotional content, will be accessible, and will be enjoyable to a wide audience.”

George Work, ISU cello professor, will be a featured soloist in another piece, Faure’s “Elegy.”

“I first learned the Faure ‘Elegy’ when I was growing up,” Work says. “It’s difficult to remember exactly when, but I think I was 12 or so. The ‘Elegy’ is particularly appropriate for this concert because the theme of the concert is ‘music that tells a story.'”

The concert is Saturday at 11 a.m. and will be held in the Martha-Ellen Tye Recital Hall. The program is free and families are encouraged to attend after the Easter egg hunt.