Veishea protests, one year later

Josh Blacksmith

It has been a little more than a year since a Veishea protest garnered 792 names on a petition that called the decision between a dry Veishea and no Veishea “an ultimatum poorly disguised as a choice.”

Brandon Riley, who graduated from Iowa State, and Robert Deisz, senior in biochemistry, were the two students who started the protest. Deisz said their main point was one that still needs to be heard by the administration.

“Last year, we were happy overall with how things went,” Deisz said. “[However], our goal was to raise awareness of the fact that students weren’t happy and that administration wasn’t presenting the entire truth. That part of [Veishea] hasn’t changed since last year.”

He said the students’ unhappiness stems from a number of different regulations still being forced on them.

“There are a lot of administration-imposed rules surrounding Veishea,” Deisz said. “I just got a list of [Veishea] rules in my mailbox this week from the university.”

Justin Wilhelm, Veishea co-chair, said that with 350 to 400 students involved on Veishea committees, ISU students have control of nearly every aspect in the Veishea celebration. He said the only issue students do not have absolute control over is the alcohol decision.

“Other than the fact that Dr. [Martin] Jischke asked us to be dry, every other decision is made by the students,” said Wilhelm, senior in mechanical engineering. “We do get some help from other places, but the final decision is up to us.”

Although both Wilhelm and fellow co-chair Justin Chesnut said the alcohol issue is not left up to students, they said to oppose a dry Veishea would mean losing the university’s support.

“I’m concerned that if the students didn’t agree to celebrate a dry Veishea, it would not continue,” Wilhelm said.

Chesnut said he felt Veishea would not necessarily be over, but it would have to go somewhere else.

“If we have alcohol, the university will withdraw its support, and we can’t use ISU’s campus,” Chesnut said.

James Shaw, freshman in general undergraduate studies, said the problem with Veishea is not who has control over the activities, but who has control over the alcohol.

“I don’t think that students want Veishea the way it is because everyone I’ve talked to is either leaving town or making other plans for the weekend,” Shaw said.

But Jonie Schlotman, junior in exercise and sport science, said she thinks Veishea is a fun and well-organized celebration.

“I feel students have a lot of say in the happenings of Veishea,” Schlotman said. “I think Veishea is a really successful event.”

Vice President for Student Affairs Thomas Hill, who attended the protest last year, said that when the administration changed Veishea, it expected to lose certain people.

“[Veishea’s] target audience was designed to be smaller,” Hill said. “It was designed specifically for the Cyclone Family.”

Hill said they also knew certain students at Iowa State might not want to stay for an alcohol-free celebration.

“[Students] may leave because they don’t want to be part of this non-alcohol event or because they want to protest not being able to drink … and that’s OK,” Hill said.

Wilhelm said this year’s event promises to be everything the Cyclone Family would want from a fun and safe Veishea celebration.

“We do the best we can to provide something for everyone,” he said.

As for last year’s protest leader, Deisz said he has other plans for this Veishea.

“I’m going to Iowa City,” Deisz said. “It should be a good time down there.”