Openly gay actor to speak on his ‘So-Called Lifestyle’

Erica Tinken

A young actor will be on campus tonight to share his experiences with being gay in Hollywood.

Best known for his portrayal of gay teen-ager Ricky Vasquez on the critically-acclaimed television drama “My So-Called Life,” Wilson Cruz will be talking about his “So-Called Lifestyle.”

Cruz, who is speaking at 8 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union, is this semester’s study-break speaker. The lecture is free and open to the public.

Besides various television appearances, including a cross-dresser on “Ally McBeal” and guest spots on “Party of Five,” Cruz also has acted on Broadway, making his debut as the AIDS-stricken Angel in the award-winning musical “Rent.”

Movies are also part of his acting repertoire, with roles in “Supernova” and “All Over Me.”

Tom Van Waardhuizen, newsletter editor for the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Alliance, said he hopes Cruz’s popular appeal can establish some common ties between people of different sexual orientations.

“This campus is not as open as it should be. It is not as aware as it should be,” said Van Waardhuizen, senior in English.

The Alliance has been trying to get Cruz to speak at Iowa State for almost a year, said Levi Richardson, an LGBTAA member who was key in arranging Cruz’s visit to Iowa State.

Cruz had to cancel in the past due to scheduling conflicts, such as his role on “Party of Five.”

Members of the LGBTAA said they hope Cruz talks frankly about his experiences. “I hope he talks about what it’s like to be an openly gay actor,” said Richardson, sophomore in computer engineering.

Richardson said Cruz’s work as an advocate for the Los Angeles Gay Community Center’s program has aided homeless gay and lesbian teen-agers.

“He has done a lot to help gay youths, especially minority gay youths,” Richardson said.