Greek houses not all meeting fire regulations

Kati Jividen

The Ames fire inspector and several members of the greek system say many of the greek houses at Iowa State, especially fraternity houses, are not meeting fire-code regulations and could be susceptible to fires.

Ames fire inspector John Dethrow said during annual greek inspections, he and firefighters from Fire Station No. 2, 132 Welch Ave., look primarily at smoke detectors and fire alarm systems.

Dethrow said they also inspect kitchen extinguishing and hood systems, fire extinguishers, fire exits and the abuse of electrical systems, such as circuit breakers and extension cords. The electrical systems is where he finds most of the problems.

“In the old days, [students] showed up with a clock and a lamp; that’s all that was available and necessary,” he said. “Today, they show up with small refrigerators — and, in the girls’ situation, blow dryers, make-up kits — computers and printers, and you can quickly see those two outlets that were put in the room no longer supply necessary power.”

Josh Ehlen, risk manager of Phi Delta Theta, 2035 Sunset Drive, said many of these electrical problems are hidden from the fire inspector, who notifies the houses prior to his arrival.

Dethrow said he informs houses when inspections will occur so that someone who is responsible for the actions of the house can be on-site. This person is usually the house manager or president.

“Although it is required to be inspected by the fire code, I could go to the house during normal business hours and demand entry and the right to inspect,” he said. “But you’re really in someone’s private home or dwelling. You don’t want to invade someone’s privacy.”

Ehlen, freshman in chemical engineering, said he believed the inspector should show up unannounced.

“It would give him a better idea of what needs to be improved in the houses,” he said.

Jeff Oleson, president of Alpha Sigma Phi fraternity, 2132 Sunset Drive, said the houses shouldn’t have to prepare for the fire inspector, so a notice shouldn’t be needed.

“You shouldn’t have to do anything to make sure you pass,” said Oleson, sophomore in computer engineering. “You should pass at all times.”

Michael Schaefer, executive assistant for Triangle fraternity, 125 N. Hyland Ave., said his house is alerted about the inspections at least two weeks in advance. He said the announcements make the inspections more productive.

“It’s more productive for us to be told ahead of time because then we can change or fix anything that may be in violation before they get here,” said Schaefer, sophomore in construction engineering. “If we weren’t told ahead of time, they would give us a big list, and they would have to come back twice. It would be a big waste of their time.”

Dethrow said the houses each receive a copy of the report at the end of the inspection. This, he said, explains what needs to be fixed, if anything, before the inspector returns for a follow-up visit in two weeks, or up to 30 days, depending on the offense.

If violations still exist, the house may be given a $500 citation.

“We try not to be the heavy-handed citation dealer. We’re not in that business, nor do we want to be. You can buy a surge protector, hire an electrician to put in more outlets or buy a whole case of exit light bulbs for less than $500 and the $30 court fee,” Dethrow said.

Dethrow said he cited four houses between 1996 and 1998, although he declined to say which houses. He did note, however, that fraternities typically have more infractions than sororities.

“A lot of it has to do with the general attitude of the inhabitants,” he said. “All of the sororities have adult supervision. They have one-third the violations and, by far, one-tenth the serious violations than a fraternity.”

Dethrow also said the conditions of the houses themselves, many of which are more than 100 years old, makes them dangerous fire hazards.

“Because of these older houses, their conditions are not ideal, and most are vastly unprotected,” he said. “That dried-out lumber goes quickly if exposed to a fire.”

The problem with inspections and with code violations is especially pressing when considering the history of fires in the ISU greek system.

A greek house was ravaged by a fire in 1992 and in 1996, and the greek system has had four fires since 1988.

Because the last fire was four years ago, Dethrow said he has his fingers crossed that the year 2000 won’t continue the cycle.

“This is the year,” he said. “I hope to break the chain, but we do and do not have control over that.”

The 1996 fire was at the former Theta Chi fraternity house, 219 Ash Ave. The house was destroyed when a grease fire erupted on a stove burner. The blaze, which started in the kitchen, quickly raced through the three-story structure, leaving 22 men unhurt but homeless. The fraternity dedicated a new house this school year.

Phi Kappa Tau, formerly on Ash Avenue, caught fire in 1992. Phi Gamma Delta, 325 Ash Avenue, and Tau Kappa Epsilon, 224 Ash Avenue, have also suffered fires since 1988, said Brian Tenclinger, director of Greek Affairs and assistant dean of students.

Dethrow said the best chance of averting any future tragedies is to make sprinklers mandatory.

“My desire is to put in a sprinkler ordinance. Every sorority or fraternity with more than 20 occupants would have one. That would go a long way in preventing a real tragic fire scene,” he said.