Residence halls revel in games, free speech

Kara Peterson

Dorm residents have a chance to act like children, be hypnotized, sumo wrestle and voice their opinions at this year’s “Dormstock 2000.”

“Dormstock 2000” is the theme of this year’s Residence Hall Week, which is a celebration for students who live in the residence halls. (The week began Saturday, and it continues through April 9.)

“In the past, students have enjoyed Residence Hall Week,” said Nathan Ohrt, Richardson Court Association president. “Students need to go out and enjoy the events.”

Brooke Smerber, Inter-Residence Hall Association director of Special Events, said this week is the biggest program IRHA organizes each year.

“I’m really looking for a lot of participation,” she said.

The event kicked off Saturday with a hypnotist and a dance in Knapp-Storms Commons. The Union Drive Association hosted an ice cream social, and Casino Night was in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union Sunday.

Smerber said Casino Night awarded $1,000 in prizes, ranging from a TV to various ISU paraphernalia.

Monday’s individual residence hall events are the grand finales of tournaments that have been taking place at each residence association.

On Tuesday night, participants can look forward to games they played as children. “Red Light/Green Light” and “Mother May I …” are just two of the featured contests. Residents can also play crab soccer and sumo wrestling.

Smerber said anybody may participate in the open mic night at Friley Hall on Wednesday.

“If people want to do comedies, sing, dance or whatever, they are welcome to it,” Smerber said.

The audience’s cheers for each skit will judge the contest; the winner will receive $100, and second place receives $50.

The free speech forum on Friday is open to the public. Luke DeKoster, Government of the Student Body representative for RCA, is helping with the event.

He said the goal of the event is to emphasize the importance of speech without regulation.

“At ISU, there are a lot of rules about speech, and there does not seem to be any real reason to have them,” DeKoster said.

Since Iowa State is a public university, DeKoster said it should have free speech everywhere. He said instead of having set places for free speech, such as the one near the Hub and Parks Library, there should be free speech everywhere.

The finale of the week is the RCA Block Party. The party will feature carnival games, bands and more to entertain students.

The financing for Dormstock 2000 comes from IRHA and the fees students pay each semester to IRHA.

Smerber wanted to be sure students received something fun in return for their money this year, such as the prizes at Casino Night.

“When I took on this job, I wanted to make sure students got something back,” Smerber said.