ISU Dance community to attend American College Dance Festival

Piper Anderson

While some students are sunbathing in far off places, some of the members of the ISU dance department will spend spring break perfecting their dancing skills.

Over 20 students are traveling to Wichita, Kan., to take part in a regional festival sponsored by the American College Dance Festival Association.

The festival offers dance classes taught by professionals, along with a unique opportunity for the students to have their dance pieces adjudicated.

Kara Evans, senior in accounting and treasurer for ISU’s Orchesis, will be attending the festival next week.

“Usually we take three dances to the festival,” Evans said. “Two of them are formally judged, and the other one is just for entertainment.”

All three of the dances that Iowa State will be taking come from this year’s performance of “Barjche.” The two that will be judged include a tap piece by Megan Helmers and “Plastik” by Nadege Souvenir. The informal piece, “Oasis,” is by dance professor Laurie Sanda.

Not all of the dancers that were in these pieces during “Barjche” are able to attend the festival, so other dancers that will be going to the festival are learning them, according to Evans.

Evans said that she is excited about the festival because it will probably be her last chance for training of this kind.

“As a senior, this is my last opportunity to have intense dance training before I enter into the accounting world,” Evans said.

Nadege Souvenir, senior in liberal studies and communications studies, said the festival provides an opportunity for students to see choreography from other schools in our region. Souvenir is president of Orchesis, and this will be her fifth time attending this festival.

“My favorite part is watching the choreography of my peers,” she said. “It’s amazing to see everyone’s different ideas.”

There are different classes and levels offered depending on the region. Last year Iowa State was not able to attend their region’s festival so they attended one in California.

“The festivals are very different depending on the region and the choreographers,” Souvenir said. “You never know what it’s going to be like and you can’t judge from a previous one.”