Celebration of Asian history begins early on Iowa State campus

Dana Carlson

ISU students have the chance to celebrate Asian heritage early this year.

The campus Asian American Heritage Celebration is normally held during the month of May, but organizers have moved the celebrations up to spread awareness and make it more accessible to students.

“It is about awareness of Asian Americans,” said Jaclyn Lee, vice president of the Asian Pacific American Awareness Coalition (APAAC). “We chose this time because it was not too close to finals.”

Lee said now is a good time to gain students’ attention.

The celebration opens with a ceremony, Lanterns on the Lake, today at 5:30 p.m. Meaghan Kozar, adviser to APAAC, said students can each send lanterns onto Lake LaVerne.

“They can see and take part in an Asian tradition to kick off the whole celebration,” she said.

Kozar said the focus of the events is to celebrate Asian-American history as a part of American history, discuss Asian issues and recognize the achievements of Asian Americans.

“Asian history is lost and forgotten,” she said.

The events give an opportunity to show that Asians are a part of Iowa State and the American community, Kozar said.

Events such as “Open Mic Night” will give people a chance to discuss Asian American issues, Lee said.

“When you see an Asian student, don’t just assume they are international,” Lee said. “I was born here. My parents were born here.”

The Asian American Heritage Celebration is now in its third year.

“We want to make [the celebration] a tradition and priority at Iowa State,” Kozar said.