Since when is leaving your dorm an arrestable offense?

Mark Kargol

To the editor:

For most of the time I have lived in the residence halls, the right of students to make their own decisions has been respected by the residence hall staff.

I am disturbed by recent developments within the residence halls regarding rules. The RAs have been asked to step up their enforcement of rules which have been overlooked in the past or received just a warning.

On the floor I live on, I can count the number of incident reports that have been filed in the past five years on one hand.

The reports that were written were because of little things that could not be ignored, things like a broken window, or a stereo that was turned up and left on after repeated warnings.

Now all infractions are being reported. This enforcement is coming from higher up. The RAs are being required to cite more rule violations that used to be handled with a warning.

Threats of removal from the residence halls or arrest by the DPS have even been made prior to any rule violations. Perhaps the residence halls are just trying to raise some more money for the master plan through fines.

This weekend showed the extent to which the residence halls are willing to go to seek out students who may violate one of their precious rules.

After Thursday’s win against UCLA, the RAs were instructed to “warn” students of the possibility of arrest if they were to participate in the celebrations.

As I was walking out to celebrate, my RA felt the need to tell me that “by going out there you are risking arrest.” Since when is leaving the residence halls an arrestable offense?

There needs to be some respect by the residence staff for students. Students are able to make their own decisions about where they want to be.

They are also aware of the consequences of their actions if they choose to destroy property during a celebration. The warning was more of a threat.

So today I returned to watch the men’s team play Michigan State in the elite eight round. As I entered the dormitory, I was greeted with a sign proclaiming that the doors of the residence halls can be locked at any time.

I talked to the RA and found out that all of the RAs were on duty because of what may happen after the game.

After the game, I decided to take a walk around the dorm and found residence hall staff everywhere I went, all carrying radios so that they could notify each other of any happenings.

The place was swarming with staff members. It was as if martial law had been imposed.

The actions of the residence hall staff are a reflection of the administration’s actions and wishes.

Respect for students by the administration has eroded severely over the past several years. It became obvious that the administration was interested in controlling students at the 1997 Baylor football game when students were fiercely tackled and handcuffed when they attempted to enter the field following the win.

The entire student section surged forward as time expired and many of the students at the front had to make the decision to either be crushed by the surge or tumble on to the football field and be arrested.

As I looked up toward the Jacobson building, Martin Jischke was standing there watching the students being arrested with a satisfied look on his face. A photographer caught Martin pointing to the students from the balcony in a pose reminiscent of a Nazi salute.

That picture may have been more than just a coincidence after watching the measures that the administration has taken over the years that have followed. The desire for absolute control has become more and more evident.

Overreaction by the administration on topics such as Veishea has prompted much debate by student leaders, and opposition by students has been fierce; however, the administration was able to force the student leaders to “pledge” to have a dry Veishea once again.

Intimidation has been the way to gain control for the school administration. Threats of losing Veishea, arrest, etc., is the way the administration carries out its agenda.

What boggles my mind is the willingness of students to accept these actions by the administration without opposition. Some students are even willing to help the administration in its attempt to control the student body. During the celebrations on Thursday, there were students within the group reporting to DPS on handheld radios. I really don’t understand why students would be so willing to help DPS in a situation like Thursday’s celebration. I doubt if a lot of the damages that occurred would have happened if the police had not been present.

We have some of the brightest students in the nation attending Iowa State. It would be nice if the administration would respect this and trust students will do the right thing.

Treating students like prisoners and threatening them eventually leads to the students venting their frustrations in the form of riots.

The damages caused during the recent celebrations were the result of the school continually taking away rights of students without adequate student representation.

It was a reaction to being treated as lesser individuals by the administration.

The administration needs to relax a bit and allow the students to be students and have some control on campus.

Mark Kargol

Senior

Architecture