All for fun, but…

Brandon Plantage

To the editor:

In Mark Kargol’s March 27 letter, “Since when is leaving your dorm an arrestable offense?” he makes some very good points about administrative control.

The administration might be stepping on some toes, but he is wrong in saying we are treated like prisoners.

He cites how student leaders were forced into dry Veishea. Do you think the administration wants to take fun away from students? Of course not.

They are doing this for the safety of students. Just look what happened in past years: pure chaos. It is clear their intentions are beyond making life miserable.

And how about the line “treating students like prisoners and threatening them eventually leads to the students venting their frustrations in the form of riots.”

Sounds a little extreme to me, Mark. Did you expect police and DPS to just stand by and watch the students on Saturday night after they supposedly turned over three cars, destroyed many signs and dangerously swam across Lake LaVerne only two nights previous?

It was the duty of the officers to maintain the peace Saturday night, and they did a very fine job.

He’s right that we have some bright students here at Iowa State, but that doesn’t mean they can’t raise a little hell. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for having a blast, but if it’s respect and decent treatment we want, let’s be examples rather than tear apart our town.

Brandon Plantage

Freshman

Computer engineering