‘Dining Dollar$’ the first step toward retail-based food service

Megan Hinds

Students living in ISU residence halls soon will experience the first in many changes in Dining Services.

Beginning in the fall of 2000, all residents with a 10-, 14-, 15- or 20-meal plan will receive a free “Residence Dining Dollar$ Debit Account.” This added function to residence hall dining will allow students to purchase extra meals, buy meals for guests and purchase items at any residence convenience stores through their ISUCards.

“This plan will give students more flexibility in their dining options,” said Stewart Burger, associate director of Dining Services. “It is not an additional charge to students’ room and board.”

As part of the new plan’s introduction, students will automatically have 50 Residence Dining Dollars credited to their accounts. Money can be added to the ISUCard at any time for use as Dining Dollars at a discounted rate.

“Students can get up to a 10 percent discount on Dining Dollars during the introductory period,” Burger said. “Hopefully, this will encourage students to use the program.”

The Dining Dollars plan is the first step in converting ISU Dining Services into a more retail-based food service program.

“We’ve been looking at ways to transform the traditional cafeteria-style food service program into a dollar-based transactional plan,” Burger said. “ISU Dining Services has developed a long-term plan by looking at other universities and listening to student input.”

The program was supported by the Government of the Student Body and unanimously approved by the Inter-Residence Hall Association at its meeting March 9.

Carol Petersen, Friley Dining Service manager, is looking forward to the addition of Dining Dollars to residence hall meal plans.

“I’m hopeful the students will like the new program,” Petersen said. “It’ll give students more value for their money spent at food service.”