Leading faculty, staff to be recognized at convocation ceremony

Jamie Lange

Faculty and staff members who have made outstanding contributions to Iowa State will have their achievements recognized at a ceremony Tuesday.

“It is both a convocation and an awards ceremony,” said Charles Dobbs, executive assistant to the president.

Following opening remarks by ISU President Martin Jischke about the state of the university, an awards ceremony will be held recognizing distinguished professors, university professors and other awards for teaching, research, outreach and extension.

“This awards ceremony complements the Student Scholars and Leaders Awards ceremony that was held Sunday,” Dobbs said.

The Office of the Provost oversees the event and informs recipients of their respective award.

Awards recipients will receive a framed plaque, Dobbs said.

ISU Provost Rollin Richmond said faculty members take an active part in the selection process.

“The awards are decided mostly by faculty committees that make recommendations to the administration, and those recommendations are usually accepted,” he said.

Richmond said the annual event helps draw attention to the university by drawing attention to the faculty achievements.

“We are able to demonstrate the value and quality of our professors,” he said. “We are also able to retain the faculty to benefit our students.”

He also said these awards benefit the university by increasing the awareness within the departments.

“When a member of the faculty sees that a colleague has been successful, it may motivate them to do their best, also,” he said.

Richmond said the award may mean a lot to recipients.

“The world is a competitive place. I’m not saying everyone is motivated this way, but some faculty are,” he said.

The ceremony will be held Tuesday at 3:15 p.m. in the Sun Room of the Memorial Union.