GSB approves finance allocations

Wendy Weiskircher

The Government of the Student Body passed a bill Wednesday night to accept the GSB Finance Committee’s recommendations for spring allocations to student organizations.

The recommended budgets for several organizations were debated, but the senate sent only three groups’ budgets back to the Finance Committee with recommendations for changes in the amount of GSB money the groups should receive.

The budget for Veishea, which was slashed by the Finance Committee because the organization repeatedly violated GSB funding rules, was sent back to the committee by a vote of 18-15 with a recommendation to increase the amount of the allocation.

In past years, Veishea has been allocated between $21,000 and $34,000 of GSB money. This year, Veishea requested more than $32,000, but because of the bylaw violation and other budget cuts, the celebration was initially allocated $10,259 by the Finance Committee.

According to the GSB bylaws, organizations that receive GSB money must acknowledge the support by printing “Funded by GSB,” or a similar phrase, on all printed materials. Veishea has violated the rule for several years, resulting in the $10,000 cut from the request for advertising and printing money.

During budget balancing, Veishea’s allocation was boosted by $2,000, but some senators say that isn’t enough money to run a quality celebration.

“If you take away this money now, it is really going to hurt the programs with the most potential,” said Matt Ostanik, Intra-Fraternity Council senator. He said the programs with multicultural or educational backgrounds would suffer the most from the budget cuts.

Justin Wilhelm, executive co-chair of the Veishea Committee, said the committee realizes that mistakes have been made, but more money is needed for the celebration.

“Please consider how many people will benefit from this and what we’re trying to do with Veishea now,” he said. “I think there are a lot of people on campus who gain a lot from Veishea. There is a significant number of students who appreciate what we do.”

However, several students said Veishea should comply by the rules as other organizations are expected to do.

“Veishea has not shown an initiative on how they are going to correct this problem,” said Michel Pogge, off campus. “Other organizations have followed the criteria and [gotten cut].”

Another group, the Fisheries and Wildlife Biology organization, was sent back to the Finance Committee with a recommendation to increase its GSB allocation.

Over past years, GSB has lowered the amount given to the biology club because of the considerable income from a food stand during Veishea. According to club member Justin St. Juliana, that revenue has not been coming in from recent Veishea celebrations. This year, the Finance Committee recommended $735.75.

“Our expenditures have been the same, but our income is essentially only from GSB,” he said.

Christian Edmiston, graduate senator and member of the Finance Committee, proposed the recommendation.

“I don’t think we had enough information the first time we saw them,” he said.

Only one group, the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Ally Alliance, was sent back to the committee with a recommended decrease.

Edmiston said the Alliance was not held to the same standards as were other groups, and the recommendation was too high.

However, some senators said the Alliance should receive the money based on the fact that the group had not been notified of the proposed cut and had complied by the funding rules.

“This group brought their budget forward and they didn’t break any rules,” Pogge said. “This is an example where the finance committee system fails.”