AIDS Walk 2000 raises $2,400 for the county

Kelly Weikum knows what it’s like to live with AIDS — he’s been doing it for more than 10 years.

“People who have AIDS aren’t bad people,” Weikum said. “I’m not proud to have AIDS, but today I don’t have to be ashamed of it.”

Weikum is just one of the many people living with AIDS who benefited from the AIDS Walk 2000 held Saturday. Money from the event went to the AIDS Coalition of Story County. Weikum spoke on behalf of the AIDS Coalition, and he wanted people to remember the importance of the fund-raiser.

“Some people think AIDS isn’t the ‘in’ thing to support anymore because people with AIDS are living longer, and they think it’s not as fatal,” said Weikum, who takes 31 pills day. “People still die from it; not everybody can take all the [medications].”

Students and members of the Ames community gathered in Brookside Park to participate in the walk, which was co-sponsored by Iowa State’s Inter-Residence Hall Association and the Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils.

“Bringing awareness is a big thing. It’s not just a money thing that matters as much as getting the word out,” said Jessica Young, co-director the event.

Young, freshman in apparel merchandising, design and production and member of Gamma Phi Beta sorority, 318 Pearson Ave., said the walk has been on her mind for a while, as she recently received news that a friend has HIV.

“I think it’s great just to raise awareness,” said Andrew Wrightsman, co-director of the event and sophomore in management. “It’s an all-campus philanthropy. We tried to encompass many students.”

Registration for the 5K walk around the park and into the Ames residential area cost $7 if participants signed up before March 10, when the price increased to $10. Participants were encouraged to sign up in groups.

More than 60 people signed up to walk, and more than $2,400 was raised, Young said.

The event ran from 8 a.m. until 2 p.m., providing food, musical entertainment and guest speakers.

The morning entertainment kicked off at 9 a.m., with the sound of the Christian band 38th Parallel.

“This is really sweet,” said 38th Parallel member Mike Jennings. “We play any time we get a chance. I had a friend who died of AIDS, so it’s of personal significance to me.”

Young said she was glad 38th Parallel went on in the early hours of the walk.

“I’m glad they were loud — jolt [the audience] and wake them up,” Young said. “If the jazz band played first, people would think it was time to go back to bed.”

The event was aimed toward students, but the Ames community was also welcome.

“It’s a good thing,” said Janene Hale, Ames resident. “I’m glad to see so many young people out here. We need to see more of this, and it’s good entertainment.”

Interfraternity Council, IRHA, Panhellenic Council, ISU Alcohol-Free Incentive Grant, Party Time Rental, Impressions, Do-Biz, Eric Larson and Meghan Hunt, 38th Parallel and Maes Jazz Quarter helped sponsor the event.