Varieties hits final weekend

Trevor Bleedorn

The busiest people on campus this weekend won’t be students laboring in the Design Building.

Surprised? The busiest people this weekend will be the ushers at Varieties 2000, “Student Stars Unmasked,” sweepstakes weekend.

Justin Hoffman, senior in speech communication, is the producer of this year’s Varieties show.

“Varieties showcases the best talent ISU has to offer; it’s a great tradition,” he said.

Sweepstakes weekend will kick-off at 7 p.m. Friday, and will conclude with shows at 6:30 and 9 p.m. Saturday in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“[Varieties Central Committee] has been working since last April to make this performance as entertaining as possible,” Hoffman says.

The production includes three musical skits, two vignettes and emcees tying it all together.

Each skit combines drama, choreography, music and a homemade set. This year, pairings of greek houses make up the groups doing skits.

Varieties will use some of the ticket sales for skit competition prize money. First place receives $500, second $250 and third $100 for donation to the charity of their choice.

“The charity competition is our way of adding a little more meaning to the Varieties competition this year,” Hoffman said.

Emily Julius, sophomore in early childhood education, directs the show’s final skit, “A Quest for Love.” She says Varieties has been a great learning experience for everyone.

“The skits involve more than just members of the greek community,” Julius said. “Some of our skit’s band members are people we know from the residence halls.”

“A Quest for Love,” set in Medieval times, deals with a king’s search for a wife and the love between a servant and a peasant. “A Crittercal Review” involves a restaurant’s dilemma and a solution from some local critters. “Off the Beaten Path” tells the story of three children trapped in their grandfather’s magical board game and their struggle to get home.

Joel Norton, sophomore in business, is one of the directors for “A Crittercal Review.”

“It gives each group a chance to explore different creative possibilities and expand those possibilities in their own way,” he said.

The two vignettes features The Randoms, a male a cappella group and KGAL, a female vocal quintet that includes piano accompaniment.

“[Varieties] is top quality entertainment provided by other Iowa State students,” Julius said.

The 6:30 p.m. Saturday performance in the 650-seat Great Hall is already sold out. Tickets for the other performances are on sale for $7 in the Memorial Union.