GSB to tackle faculty petition, allocations

Wendy Weiskircher

The Government of the Student Body will have a week to consider a bill to change the way GSB allocates money to itself and a resolution to support the faculty-issued petition requesting a Board of Regent evaluation of ISU President Martin Jischke.

The bill and the resolution were introduced at the senate meeting Wednesday night, and they will be discussed and voted on at next week’s meeting.

The financing bill would change the bylaws so that GSB allocations for its own purposes from the Senate Discretionary Account would take more senate approval than other allocations from the same account.

Currently, all Senate Discretionary Account allocations require a simple majority of senate approval to pass. This bill would mandate a two-thirds majority of present senators to approve funding for GSB.

“The GSB feels that funding other student groups should take priority over spending money on itself,” states the bill.

In addition to the regular annual funding, GSB has allocated supplemental funds of $11,500 so far this year, according to the bill. Last year, the bill states, these supplemental funds totaled $18,500.

Jonathon Weaver, author of the bill, said he sent out an e-mail concerning the bill last week, and that the feedback showed “differing opinions.”

“Basically, GSB is a GSB-funded group,” said Weaver, TRA. “No other GSB-funded organization comes back seven or eight times a year asking for more money.”

He said GSB gets into the habit of allocating money to itself without much consideration.

“This will make people think about it,” Weaver said.

The resolution to support the faculty petition’s request for a review of the administration also was introduced.

According to the bill, “The Government of the Student Body, voicing the opinion of ISU students, believes that President Martin C. Jischke’s current tenure policy rewards research at the expense of undergraduate education.”

Luke DeKoster, co-author of the bill, said the resolution is centered on the issue of the administration’s tenure policy.

“I would say that the intent of this bill is to further discussion about the faculty petition,” said DeKoster, RCA. “This is the situation, and I think we need to address it.”

He said members of the faculty are invited to next week’s senate meeting, when the resolution will be debated.