Midterm stress begins to rise

Michelle Havran

Midterms are quickly approaching, which can mean stressed students and panicked procrastinators. However, some people on the ISU campus have advice on how to prepare and beat the burnout.

Academic Service Coordinator Kurt Earnest had several suggestions for students on how to handle midterms.

“Students should avoid marathon study sessions and study in shorter increments,” Earnest said.

He said talking to others can be an effective studying method as long as students stay focused.

“Studying with a partner gives [students] an opportunity to bounce ideas off each other. It also breaks up the monotony of doing it alone. Students can get the benefits of others’ learning styles,” Earnest said.

He explained this way of preparing makes certain topics less ambiguous.

Earnest also recommended studying the harder subjects first, picking a regular area to study so one gets accustomed to that environment and getting plenty of rest.

“If you’re tired, you can’t study as well,” Earnest said. “It’s also important to find a place that’s not too comfortable because your body tries to relax too much in places like a bed or couch.”

James Hilliard, associate professor of aerospace engineering, advises students to start preparing for midterms even at the very beginning of the semester.

“You need to keep on top of things from day one to prevent a last-minute crisis. You need to be alert and well-booked up,” he said.

For relieving the stress that midterms can bring, some ISU students choose exercise to clear their heads.

Director of Recreational Services Larry Cooney said the recreation facilities are already busier than they have been in a long time, and he doesn’t expect things to slow down.

“When [students] are under extreme pressure, there are times when the feeling of a hard workout rejuvenates you,” he said. “It cleans the old mind out and helps you study.

“We’ve experienced that during finals, rather than [students] eating or drinking themselves into oblivion, it feels better to run some laps, play a pick-up game of basketball or go to a steam room,” Cooney said. “It’s good medicine.”

Some students said time management also is a key for midterm preparation.

“I schedule the things I need to be at and then decide where in the open gaps I’ll fit studying,” said Jesse Shumaker, sophomore in management information systems.

Steve Henry, sophomore in animal science, said he believes in pushing himself to the limit.

“I stay up and study until I can’t keep my eyes open anymore,” he said.

To help avoid burnout, Nicole North, sophomore in biology, said she likes to take movie breaks during midterms.

Chad Becker, junior in animal science, said he likes to get away for a while.

“I try to forget about things dealing with school,” he said. “I’ll take a drive or just get out of town.”