Swimming seniors say good-bye to Beyer with win over Kansas

Brad Seward

The last Beyer Hall Pool memory for nine Iowa State seniors will include a victory over Kansas.

The 25th-ranked ISU men’s swimming and diving team, now 7-2 in dual meets and 2-1 in Big 12 Conference action, defeated the Jayhawks 142.5—91.5 in Ames Saturday.

The meet was the last at home for seniors Rob Breshears, Bjorn Brooks, Evan deSzoeke, Lovrenco Franicevic, Mitch McGinty, Steve Mohabir, Brian O’Neill, Brian Rogers and Jim Sheehan.

“I’m very pleased,” said head coach Trip Hedrick. “We always enter this meet at a time in the season when we’re experiencing a little bit of inconsistency, based on we’re starting our taper, we’re cutting back the yardage a little bit, and at this time of the year I’m always a little leery of how we’re going to perform.”

The Cyclones continued to capture the high places in events. Iowa State won nine of 13 events, took two of the top three spots in 10 races and swept the top three spots once.

Iowa State got an early lead when the relay team of Rogers, freshman Mike Christianson, junior Henrik Ingesson and sophomore Dylan de Bruin won the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:32.32.

The time was just off the Beyer Pool record of 1:32.24 set by Nebraska in 1995.

The relay team of freshman Karl Sunrydh, Sheehan, junior Jeremy Wilson and sophomore Brett Lohmeier finished second.

In the 1000-yard freestyle, deSzoeke captured a victory with a time of 9:25.75. Junior Josh Nogar placed third.

Iowa State made a clean sweep of the top spots in the 200-yard freestyle. Junior Peder Skoog edged out Franicevic for first place with a time of 1:41.27.

Franicevic made a late charge and finished with a time of 1:41.82. Breshears took third place.

In the 50-yard freestyle, de Bruin posted a first place time of 20.83 seconds. Junior Jeff Gahan got second place.

Sophomore Liam Short won the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 1:53.00, about a second off of the Beyer Pool record set in 1971. Lohmeier finished in third place.

Seniors dominated the 200-yard butterfly. Franicevic earned the win with a mark of 1:50.23. Mitch McGinty placed second.

ISU got the second victory of the afternoon from de Bruin in the 100-yard freestyle.

He won with a time of 45.52 seconds. Breshears took third place.

In another close race, it was Rogers edging out Skoog in the 200-yard backstroke.

Rogers’ time of 1:50.27 was less than two-tenths of a second behind the Beyer Pool record set in 1983.

Skoog finished with a time of 1:50.96.

The Cyclones got another win from deSzoeke in the 500-yard freestyle.

He finished with a time of 4:38.53. Nogar got third place.

In diving, freshman Dave Likar placed second in the one-meter competition with a score of 273.90.

He edged out Mohabir, who had a score of 273.38.

Mohabir finished in second place in the three-meter competition with a score of 288.68. Likar got third.

“I think the thing our guys proved to themselves today was that they could swim fast and didn’t have to feel good to swim fast,” Hedrick said. “That’s real important when you get ready for the big championship meet we’ve got coming up in four weeks.”

Hedrick also cited the efforts of Christianson, de Bruin, deSzoeke, Rogers, Short, Skoog and the relay teams as being positive.

The meet stirred up emotions for some seniors.

“Introductions were pretty hard. I had trouble controlling my emotions,” Rogers said. “It was difficult to get that first race out of the way.”

Hedrick mentioned how the senior swimmers have been important to the team.

“It’s been a special group of guys that are quite understated,” Hedrick said. “I think they have brought academic credibility to the program and without a question wonderful swimming credibility.”

The seniors will also be taking some memories with them.

“My sophomore year was a great year,” said Rogers. “We went undefeated in the dual season. I had a breakthrough Big 12 meet and got to go to NCAAs.”

Being a part of ISU swimming has changed some of the seniors.

“It’s changed me a lot,” Rogers said. “I’ve become more mature. I think I’m a lot better [person] thanks to it.”

“I take great pride in being part of this team,” deSzoeke said. “I have more self-confidence because of it.”

The Cyclones have nearly a month off before the Big 12 Championships in College Station, Texas. This factor causes some changes in preparation.

“This is kind of a fun time of the year,” Hedrick said. “We train really hard to get the body to adapt to an extremely high work load, and then we cut the yardage back the last three or four weeks of the season. The body responds in a way that gives us a lot of great energy and hopefully a lot of great performances.”

The Big 12 Championships will provide a challenge for the Cyclones.

“Texas is ranked first in the country right now. I believe both Nebraska and [Texas] A&M are in the top fifteen, and we’re 25th. Missouri is coming on like gang-busters, and KU is going to have a great conference meet,” Hedrick said. “I think we’re in kind of an underdog position for the top three spots. We don’t mind being in that position, but hopefully going into the meet we can turn some heads.”

The Big 12 Championships will take place at the Student Recreation Center Natatorium on the campus of Texas A&M March 2-4.