Career day needs more student ambassadors

Wendy Lambke

For ISU students who want to get jump-starts on their careers, the Business/Liberal Arts and Sciences Spring Career Day 2000 organizers have about 100 open student ambassador positions and are looking for people to fill them.

Melody Jennings, Spring Career Day 2000 committee chairwoman and graduate student in industrial relations, said the student ambassador position involves mainly assisting one of the 160 different companies coming to the Feb. 16 career fair. Some of the tasks include helping them set up booths, providing information about Iowa State and being a contact with the university while the companies are on campus.

Andrea Rochford, ambassador coordinator, said the student ambassador position is an excellent opportunity to get connected in the corporate world.

“The best part of being a student ambassador is networking with the employers,” said Rochford, junior in marketing.

Kathy Wieland, experiential learning coordinator for the College of Business and LAS Career Services, said the opportunities will be especially ripe this year because there are twice as many companies recruiting as there were last year.

There also will be companies looking for students to fill full-time positions this year, while in previous years only co-ops and internships were offered.

“This will be the largest spring fair we’ve ever had,” Wieland said. “There are going to be major recruitment opportunities.”

Wieland said several student ambassadors have been hired by employers who they assisted at past career days. She also said the experience is especially helpful for freshmen and sophomores who have not yet made many contacts in their fields.

Jennings said ambassadors will be helping with set-up on Feb. 15, as well as with Interview Day on Feb. 17. She also noted students would not need to commit any more than an hour of their time for the actual work and an hour for training the week before the event.

Student ambassador applications can be picked up in Room 208 of Carver Hall or found on the Internet at www.careers.iastate.edu/springcareerday.

The deadline for turning in applications is Wednesday at 4 p.m.