Strength through diversity

Black History Month is a time for Americans of all ethnic backgrounds to reflect on the contributions of African-Americans to the mosaic that is the United States and the ISU community.

We encourage all ISU students, staff and faculty to give proper attention to those African-Americans who have contributed to life right here in Ames.

We’ve tried to break it down nice and easy for you by running five profiles of African-Americans at Iowa State who are making a difference every day.

To further that end, here is a quick who’s who.

Gene Smith became ISU’s athletic director in 1993 and his combination of business skills and athletic background has made a difference which is felt by thousands of students every year whether they take the field or sit in the balcony cheering on the Cyclones to victory.

Daron Richardson is a junior in art and design and one of the founders of the Black Renaissance Movement, a group that gives opportunities to artists of African descent and enriches life for all Iowa Staters.

Nanette Allen, junior in speech communication, rocks the volleyball court and hopes to do the same one day as a professional singer. She adds to Iowa State’s diversity, but one thing she regrets is that Iowa State doesn’t do more to attract minorities to campus.

Pam Thomas is the Margaret Sloss Women’s Center coordinator and she has devoted her life to activism. She is a soldier in the fight for social justice whose work with family violence has made a difference in the life of many Iowans.

Paxton Williams, senior in political science and communications studies, is the current president of Mortarboard National Honor Society, takes part in Democratic Party activities, Veishea activities, is a Student Alumni Association Committee member, holds various positions in Farmhouse fraternity and is working on a one-man play about another important African-American Iowa Stater, George Washington Carver.

Every one of these people makes a difference at Iowa State every day and we should all appreciate their contributions — not just during Black History Month, but year-round.

So take a few minutes every day this week to check out the profiles we’ve done of these important people and always remember that it takes a wide variety of people to make this campus work properly and flourish.

Iowa State Daily Editorial Board: Sara Ziegler, Greg Jerrett, Kate Kompas, Carrie Tett and David Roepke.