Maple Hall project deemed a success

Kara Peterson

Editor’s note: This is the first in a five-part series on the Department of Residence’s Master Plan. The plan, which spans across several years, will renovate and rebuild several of the ISU residence halls. The first building the Daily is profiling is Maple Hall.

The first part of the ISU Department of Residence’s Master Plan was put to the test last fall, when the newly revamped Maple Hall opened its doors to residents. The dormitory was complete with an updated security system, suite-style rooms — and a list of requirements.

Students who live in Maple Hall have different expectations than students who live in other dorms. The hall is tailored mostly for freshman, and to be eligible to live in Maple Hall, students must have at least a 2.5 GPA. They also must be active in community-service projects. If students violate those policies, they can be put on probation.

The hall is also substance-free, and students who violate the policy must move out.

As far as the building’s renovations, the list was lengthy.

Maple Hall houses 488 students on eight floors, with 75 percent freshmen and 25 percent upperclassmen populating the building. Each floor has a private bathroom located across the hall from all rooms and a sink in each room. The rooms are all carpeted and furnished with new furniture and lofts.

Maple Hall was the department’s first step in its Master Plan. The Master Plan is a document prepared in June 1998 by Brailsford and Dunlavey, Inc. in association with RDG Bussard-Dikis and Thomas Ricca Associates, Inc. According to the plan, the intent is to “meet the changing needs and desires of students.”

Associate Director of Residence Virginia Arthur said the changes in Maple Hall are benefiting its residents.

“It was really an opportunity to try a bunch of different things that would contribute to first-year students’ success both academically and personally. We could start with a fresh population,” she said.

As well as the improved physical conditions of the building, Maple Hall also opened with new security measures. The building has electronic access by cards issued to residents. These cards provide access to areas such as meeting rooms, stairways and elevators.

The Department of Residence initially had some issues with the access cards as well as late furniture, but the problems have been worked out.

“Once we resolved those, things have gone smoothly, and students like them,” Arthur said.

An ISU survey has been conducted to gauge students’ reactions to Maple Hall. The final copy of the survey will not be released until next week, but Maple Hall Director Lynn Meyer said the survey results are promising. “The survey reflects that students are very satisfied with their experience here,” she said.

Arthur said the survey is a two-year assessment, so changes resulting from the survey will probably not be made next year.

“Some things happen the first year with starting up. We need to assess how things are really going,” she said.

Don Whalen, research and assessments coordinator for the Department of Residence, organized the survey. He said one result was unexpected.

“One of the things we were surprised at was students were finding [Maple Hall] too quiet,” Whalen said.

Whalen said students have noticed Maple tends to be less noisy compared to other halls. “They do not hear it in Maple, and students believe they are more isolated,” he said.

Director of Residence Randy Alexander said having students complain about the noise level was a “nice problem to have.” According to the survey, 90 percent of the students said it was quiet enough to study when they wanted, but 28 percent said it was too quiet.

Residents have other concerns about living in Maple Hall. Due to fire codes, students are not allowed to keep their doors open in the dorm. Whalen said this “brings barriers to community.”

But Whalen said freshmen are learning how to “draw people out,” and each hall will improve over time as residents break down those barriers.

Another thing students rated high about Maple Hall, according to the survey, was the community advisers, who perform a role similar to that of a resident assistant. Maple Hall also has academic resource coordinators, who help with students’ academic questions.

Meyer said the two have been receiving “extremely high” and “very, very positive” feedback.

Joel Hagen, CA for Walls House in Maple Hall, said he has had a good experience living in the renovated dorm.

“Overall, I enjoy Maple Hall. I plan to return next year,” said Hagen, senior in music education.

Alexander said students also said they like some of the luxuries Maple offers. “They liked the privacy of the bathrooms, having sinks in rooms and having computer labs and kitchens on their floors,” he said.

Hagen said the built-in lofts have been convenient for his floor’s residents. “It cuts down a lot on hassle at move-in time,” he said.

Anna Wilhelm, undeclared freshman, lived in one of the suites last semester. “I liked having my own bath, shower and sink in my room,” she said. “It was more convenient. I can keep all of my stuff in there.”

However, one survey issue that received negative feedback from students was the visitor policy of Maple Hall, which is a co-ed dorm. On weekdays, members of the opposite sex cannot be on the floor from 1 a.m. to 8 a.m. On Fridays and Saturdays, members of the opposite sex have to be off the floor from 3 a.m. to 8 a.m.

But overall, Meyer said she’s optimistic about the future of Maple Hall.

“Right now, we are still in the whole foundation-building process,” he said. “We are getting everything started and getting it on a roll.”