GSB/IRHA committee plans forum

Kara Peterson

ISU students can give their thoughts on residence hall life to a group of Government of the Student Body senators and Inter-Residence Hall Association representatives tonight.

The open forum will be held from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. in Room 1414 of the Molecular Biology Building.

The GSB/IRHA Special Student Perspectives Subcommittee, which is hosting the meeting, is made up of 12 members who represent both governments. The subcommittee is part of a special GSB/IRHA joint committee set up in the beginning of the fall semester to investigate the ISU Department of Residence.

Student-government representatives are encouraging ISU residents to attend the forum.

“Anybody who pays money to the Department of Residence is invited,” said Jonathon Weaver, GSB senator for the Towers Residence Association. “It’s an opportunity for all students in the residence halls to come down and voice their opinion about any concerns they have.”

The forum will be in open-mic format. Weaver said each person who attends will be given a number and will speak in that order.

Alex Olson, GSB off-campus senator, said students will determine the discussion topics.

“We’re not going to bring anything up. We do not want to lead them down a path. We want the students to lead us,” he said. “We’re not going to preach to them about anything.”

Weaver said all attendees will have a chance to say what they think, and he hopes to get both positive and negative feedback.

No officials from the Department of Residence will be at the forum, Weaver said.

“People who show up will not have to worry about repercussions for voicing their opinion,” he said.

Juice and cookies will be provided at the event. Students who want to attend can park in the commuter lot behind the Molecular Biology Building.