Quadruplet lambs enter the world at ISU

Jennifer Bredahl

The stork recently visited the ISU Sheep Teaching Farm.

A monumental event has occurred three times this season at the farm, with three of the farm’s 100-plus purebred Hampshire and Suffolk ewes giving birth to quadruplets.

The farm has proven to be fertile ground for the ewes, with a total of 115 lambs having been born at the ISU Sheep Teaching Farm since Jan. 7.

“We have had two sets of quads from Suffolk ewes and one set out of a Hampshire,” said Russ Voigt, farm manager. “They are all doing fine, and [two from each set] were all grafted to other mothers.”

Grafting occurs when a ewe gives birth to more than two lambs, and the rest of the babies have to be nursed by another mother.

Voigt said the last lambs from the farm should enter the world by the last week in February.

“With the heat last summer, lambing has been a little slow getting started, but we are keeping busy now,” said Curtis Youngs, associate professor of animal science.

Voigt said the ewes waiting to lamb are kept in group pens and following birth are moved into a “lambing jug” for one or two days to bond with their offspring. Then the ewes and lambs are housed in group pens, he said.

Youngs said the sheep farm has had quadruplets in the Suffolk flock before, but it was more unusual with the Hampshires.

“Lambing percentages should be 15 to 20 percent higher this year than last,” Voigt said. “The biggest thing that contributed to the multiple births was the ewes’ nutrition at breeding time. The pastures were in better condition this year.

“I’ve grafted 10 to 12 lambs already this year. We’ve had lots of triplets, but there are only two orphans out there right now. I would much rather graft them than raise bottle lambs,” he said.

The sheep farm is one of several farms run by Iowa State in support of teaching programs in animal science and veterinary medicine and is used in more than seven classes for undergraduates and also for a senior class for veterinary students, Youngs said.

Voigt said students are welcome to come out and visit the new additions and should call the sheep farm to set up a time. The farm is located on State Avenue by the rodeo grounds.