Alcohol in dorms comes under fire

Anna Conover

All residence halls at Iowa State could become substance-free if the Iowa Legislature passes a proposed bill.

Rep. Rosemary Thomson, R-Marion, is sponsoring a bill that would ban alcohol in all residence halls at public and private universities in Iowa.

The bill would include both students who can and cannot legally drink, even in dorms at private schools. The penalty for violating the proposed regulations would be a $200 fine and criminal charges, punishment similar to that of a public intoxication or a minor in possession of alcohol charge.

Thomson, a Republican with a background in substance-abuse prevention, said students’ minds dulled by chemicals aren’t getting the best education.

Rep. Jane Greimann, D-Ames, said although she can’t predict whether the bill would pass, she had not seen much support for it yet from her colleagues.

“I don’t have enough experience to say whether the bill will pass,” Greimann said. “I was visiting with other legislators, and they didn’t think it was a good idea, but I didn’t talk to all of them.”

Greimann said she did not see the purpose of attempting to force students to not drink alcohol.

“I hope that young people with responsibility and leadership would take more leadership to solve the problems themselves,” she said. “I don’t think legislation is the answer, but since adults brought it up, students need to know that parents are concerned.”

Director of the Department of Public Safety Loras Jaeger said he was not sure if legislation would correct the problem, but he said underage drinking is without a doubt a problem on college campuses across the state and the nation.

“We have a number of incidents with underage drinking,” Jaeger said. “It’s certainly an issue that we’re concerned about along with other violations like driving under the influence.”

Jaeger said DPS charges about 125 people a year for public intoxication, 100 for other liquor violations such as underage drinking and 160 for drunk driving.

Director of the Department of Residence Randy Alexander said he did not foresee the proposed bill affecting Iowa State even if it were to pass.

“It would depend on how it was written. If it was really written banning all alcohol, I suspect some people would move off campus,” Alexander said. “If the bill was primarily for younger students, it wouldn’t affect us, but if it banned alcohol in apartments, it would.”

Alexander said there would have to be a transition period for current residents if the bill did pass.

“I don’t know if it would have an impact for freshman in three years because they wouldn’t know differently,” he said. “There would be a transition period, and then I wouldn’t say that it would be as much as an issue.”

Alexander said the Department of Residence’s Master Plan is targeted at creating neighborhoods for all different ages of residents, so the passage of the bill would affect how the plan is carried out.

“We wouldn’t allow alcohol in younger neighborhoods, even for those of legal age, because the neighborhood is younger, but we would allow it in apartments and family residents because most people would be of legal age,” he said.

Alexander said the Department of Residence still plans to allow residents of legal age to have alcohol in the Hawthorn Court apartments under construction.

Some ISU students have mixed opinions about the proposed bill.

“I think it would upset some people,” said Ron Barrett, sophomore in pre-architecture. “I don’t think that it’s that bad of an idea. It might limit the underage drinking.”

However, Philip Kramer, sophomore in exercise science, said he sees no need for any further regulations.

“I think it would just force kids to hide it better,” Kramer said. “I like having ‘wet’ rooms and ‘dry’ rooms. If you’re of legal age, why shouldn’t you be able to have it?”