Horse barn manager stepping down, moving on

Jennifer Bredahl

The end of an era has come for the ISU horse program, with the departure of Sara Garr, ag specialist and farm manager of the horse barns.

Garr has managed the horse barns, which are located north of Kildee Hall, since the fall of 1989. She decided to leave Iowa State to concentrate on training horses.

“My main goal has always been to work for myself,” she said. “My business is to the point where it has to stop or become my main focus. It was time.”

Garr said she has been considering leaving Iowa State for a while, but she made her final decision in early December.

“It’s something I gradually worked up to,” she said.

Garr made several changes to the equine program while she was manager.

“When I first started, one of my goals was to get a higher-quality horse. That meant working to get good brood mare donations since we can’t go out and buy horses,” Garr said. “It’s a continuous process, but we have done well.”

Another change Garr implemented was the increase in the number of horse classes taught here.

“There are classes now for management skills instead of just riding,” she said.

Coaching the horse-judging team is what Garr said she will miss the most.

“I enjoy working with the students one-on-one, and I am a highly competitive person,” she said. “We have won the national championship and placed in the top 10 in every contest we have entered for the past three years. I hope they can keep it going.”

She said she hopes there will be continued changes at Iowa State to improve the horse program.

“I believe the horse program deserves more attention from the animal science department. The horse industry is growing. You won’t get rich, but you can make a living,” Garr said.

Until a new full-time manager is found, students will take over some of her duties. Garr said four or five students will be doing the majority of the work, and several other students will be helping.

Peggy Miller, associate professor of animal science, will guide the students in managing the horse barn.

Garr said she has been busy preparing for her departure.

“My last week here has been spent trying to make sure everyone understands all the little things. I learned something new every day here,” she said. “I don’t want to leave people in a bad situation, so I am trying to make the transition as smooth as possible.”

Garr said patience is the most important quality for the new manager to possess.

“[A manager needs] patience in dealing with inexperienced students and someone with a good work ethic,” she said. “I was here Christmas Day doing chores. The livestock has to come first.”