Insufficient lighting an issue for some students

Piper Anderson

Some ISU students believe lighting in areas of campus is not adequate.

“I feel the lighting issue should be addressed,” said Matt Lemons, sophomore in computer science. Lemons said he feels safe when walking at night around campus, but he thinks that some areas have poor lighting. He used the area around Atanasoff Hall near Parks Library as an example.

As another example of possible lighting problems, some students say when they walk up to a motion light that’s on, it turns off.

“I think that in some areas the motion lights are wired backwards,” said Jenny Baker, sophomore in computer engineering.

Department of Public Safety Manager Chuck Cychosz said he is not aware of any incidents directly related to lighting on campus. However, for several years officials have tried to detect problems with the lighting in order to avoid any problems that might arise.

“We conduct an annual lighting and vegetation survey in which a group of different people go out and review campus property for poor lighting and overgrown vegetation,” Cychosz said.

The survey is normally conducted during the summer, he said.

Cychosz also said student DPS officers are supposed to watch the lighting on campus and report any problem areas. He said most of the improvements to lighting are done on a monthly basis.

Emily Julius, undeclared freshman, said she believes that for the most part, lighting on campus is adequate. She said when she walks home around 6 p.m., she feels completely safe because there are enough people and she doesn’t feel alone.

Julius said central campus, the area between Curtiss Hall and Beardshear, could use more lighting.

However, Randy Larabee, engineer in Facilities Planning and Management, said it is expensive to light the campus at night.

“We form a priority list, and then wait for money,” he said.

In the past, money has been given to campus lighting from various places. Two of these include money from the Senior Class Gift and from the President’s Year End Funding.