New Student Days leader applications due today

Wendy Lambke

Team leaders are needed for next fall’s New Student Days, a program designed to help new students make the transition from orientation to college life.

Today is the deadline for team leader applications, and New Student Days organizers said they hope to hire 300 team leaders, 100 more than last year.

New Student Days was held last August for the first time. Upperclassmen team leaders teach new students about many aspects of Iowa State.

“It’s a program designed to help new students succeed,” said New Student Days Coordinator Liz Kurt.

New Student Days is held Aug. 17 to Aug. 19, before Fall 2000 classes start on Aug. 21. During the program, the new students are put into groups guided by a New Student Days leader. While in the groups, the students participate in seminars on topics such as computers on campus and time management.

Leaders are responsible for overseeing 12 new students over the course of the program. Team leaders keep the new students’ schedules, keep the team together and make sure the students make it to their informational sessions and meals.

The leaders will actually facilitate some of the programs to the new students, including sessions on AccessPlus and time management.

Kurt said New Student Days leaders are expected to commit about one hour per week from mid-February through the end of the semester for leadership training.

There are no commitments over the summer, although students must be available from Aug. 16 to Aug. 20 for the New Student Days program.

After the program, New Student Days leaders will be given a $100 honorarium for donating their time.

New Student Days co-chairman and former New Student Days leader Nathan Guerdet said upperclassmen should consider being a New Student Days leader if they’re interested in meeting new people and if they enjoy sharing their ideas and experiences about Iowa State with others.

“The best part about being a New Student Days leader was getting to share my enthusiasm about ISU with the new students,” said Guerdet, senior in agricultural business. “The worst part was that it ended.”

Kurt said 1999, the pilot year, was successful. More than half of all incoming freshman participated in the program. She said she expects an additional 500 to 1,000 new students to attend New Student Days this fall.

Applications for New Student Days Team leaders can be found at Room 110 B of Alumni Hall, the Student Answer Center, residence hall desks and on the Web at http://www.iastate.edu/~studays/.

New Student Days team leader applications are due at 5 p.m. Monday, Jan. 24 in Room 312 Alumni Hall.