Dean Topel leads college by listening

Kari Berns Tjossem

As dean of Iowa State’s College of Agriculture since 1988, David Topel has learned that being a good listener is the key to success.

“It sounds simple, but some have difficulty listening,” said Topel, 62.

Now, after 12 years as dean of agriculture, Topel will be stepping down for someone else to carry on the legacy of the college.

Although Topel will be leaving his current post, he won’t be leaving Iowa State. He plans on joining the ISU animal science department and is excited about teaching again.

However, many reminders of his dedication and determination to make the college a leader in its field will remain.

One of those reminders has been a consistent increase in the college’s enrollment since his arrival.

“In 1988, we had almost 1,900 students, then enrollment increased every year until this year,” Topel said. “The majority in student increases are women — it’s like 80 percent — and we worked hard on that.”

By far, Topel sees the enrollment increase as one of the most rewarding aspects of his career.

“These are quality students — [the increase] is not only numbers but increased quality,” he said.

Topel said another positive advancement in the college has been the growth of international opportunities for students.

Since 1990, the college has been creating five-year strategic plans to ensure constant improvements and advancements in this area.

“Five years ago in the existing plan, one of the things we wanted to do was internationalize the college,” he said.

Since then, ISU has moved up to second place behind Michigan State among Midwest colleges in international programs. Students now take trips to countries such as China, Costa Rica and Mexico. These opportunities offer students new insight to agriculture, Topel said.

International experiences are offered as study abroad courses and are open to all students in the university, Topel said. These opportunities also meet international perspective course requirements.

Behind Topel lies a long and colorful career, deeply seeded in agriculture.

He grew up on a Lake Mills, Wis., dairy farm where he helped milk 80 cows. The dairy farm still is in operation.

After high school, Topel earned his B.S. in animal science at the University of Wisconsin-Madison in 1960. Kansas State was his home for the next two years while he worked toward his master’s in animal science. Then he headed to Michigan State, where he earned his Ph.D. in food science.

It was while at Michigan State that he met his wife, Jackie.

In 1965, Topel came to ISU, where he was a professor in both the animal and food science departments. Fifteen years later, he went to Auburn and served as head of the animal science department. In 1988, he returned to ISU.

As the new dean takes his place, Topel said he will offer encouragement instead of advice.

“I just wish them the best,” he said. “It wouldn’t be fair to give advice, especially if they didn’t think the advice was very good.”