Finals week is students’ last chance to hone study skills

Emily Graham

With finals starting today, some Iowa State students are cramming to prepare for the week. But Sharon McGuire, director of the Academic Success Center, said that is no way to prepare for a final.

“Preparation should have started early in the semester, so studying for finals should be an ongoing process. The general rule is to remember any kind of information, you have to be exposed to [it] at least seven to 10 times. If you are cramming, more than likely that isn’t happening,” she said.

By this point in the semester, McGuire said most students should have found the method of studying that is most effective for them.

Now that finals are upon ISU students, it comes down to time management. She said making a study checklist would help many students.

“If you want to make flash cards, study old tests, take practice exams or things like that, a checklist will really help. Then from there, schedule specific times to do each of those things,” she said. “You can get overwhelmed by what you want to do, but a checklist seems more manageable.”

Kelly Johnson, Oak-Elm Resident Academic Coordinator (RAC), said the location students choose to study in also can affect them.

“By this point in the semester, most students know where they study the best, but for finals, sometimes that just doesn’t work. If you need to, change your location. If people walking in and out of the coffee shop bother you, don’t study there,” she said.

Johnson also recommended that students find someone in each class they trust, whom they can turn to with questions.

“Use your resources. Use the other people in the class, go to study groups,” she said.

Many residence hall RACs sponsor study groups for specific classes in the hall dens.

A set sleep schedule also will help maximize study time, McGuire said.

“All-nighters don’t help. You won’t have the endurance you need to get through. If you can get on a schedule where you are up by 9 [a.m.] to study, take regular breaks throughout the day, and are in bed by midnight, you will do a lot better,” she said.

When trying to catch up on large amounts of reading, McGuire suggested reading actively.

“Don’t just sit down and read pages four to 35. Circle key words and read for information,” she said.

For those who think about the material they are studying while trying to fall asleep, she suggests keeping a pad of paper by the bed to write down any questions.

Foods with complex carbohydrates, such as peanuts, also will keep one’s energy up, making studying all day easier, she said.

While studying, McGuire also recommended creating diagrams or storyboards to help students remember the information. Then on test days, students should write this information on the back of their tests.

If it is an exam with problem solving and equations, she recommended writing the equations on the test as well.

When taking multiple choice tests, she said to answer the easy questions first, then go through and cross out the answers that are obviously wrong and concentrate on the answers left.

Another suggestion is to circle the key words in a question to narrow down what the question is asking.

But regardless of all the advice, different things work for different people, Johnson said.

“You can give generic advice to everyone, but everyone is different and needs to find the way they study the best and stick with it,” she said.