Men’s swim team thrashes Iowa

Brad Seward

The Iowa State Cyclones won the battle for state bragging rights over the Iowa Hawkeyes in men’s swimming and diving, 134-108, Friday night at Beyer Hall pool.

The win gives ISU, ranked 25th nationally in the latest College Swimming Coaches Association of America poll, a 4-1 dual meet record on the season. The Hawkeyes dropped to 1-4.

“This was just a great win,” said head coach Trip Hedrick. “It’s a huge win. I heard Larry Eustachy the other day on the radio say that this is the biggest meet [Iowa vs. ISU] outside of your conference or national championship that you can have, and I think we feel this way about this meet.”

Hedrick also cited Iowa as swimming extremely well.

The Cyclones took first place and got at least two of the top three places in seven of 13 events. ISU swept the top three spots in two events. However, the meet was close throughout.

It was the Hawkeyes jumping out of the gate early to take an 11-6 lead after the 400-yard medley relay.

In this race, the Cyclone relay team of seniors Brain Rogers and Jim Sheehan and juniors Jeremy Wilson and Peder Skoog finished fourteen-hundredths of a second out of first place. Finishing in third place was the ISU relay team of senior Mitch McGinty, junior Henrik Ingesson and freshmen Karl Sunrydh and Mike Christianson.

ISU took the lead away from Iowa after the 1000-yard freestyle. The top three swimmers in the event were Cyclones. Capturing first was Evan deSzoeke, senior, with at time of 9:24.83. In second place was junior Josh Nogar. In third was senior Bryan O’Neill. ISU led at that point, 22-14.

The Hawkeyes recaptured the lead, 28-27, after taking first and second in the 200-yard freestyle. Senior Lovrenco Franicevic placed third for ISU.

The Cyclones showed their resiliency as they got the lead back, 43-32, after the 50-yard freestyle. Dylan de Bruin, sophomore, won the event with a time of 20.61 seconds. Swimming to a second place finish was junior Jeff Gahan.

The meet continued to be close, but Iowa State would not relinquish the lead.

Skoog took home first place honors in the 200-yard individual medley with a time of 1:52.45.

Iowa’s All-American diver, Simon Chrisander, took first place in the one-meter diving competition. ISU’s Dave Likar, freshman, took second place. Coming in third was ISU sophomore Mike Amberson. With the win, Iowa had cut the ISU lead to eight points at 60-52.

The Cyclones got a second place finish in the 200-yard butterfly by Franicevic. He swam to a time of 1:50.92. The Cyclones had a slim 67-64 lead.

First place in the 100-yard freestyle went to de Bruin of the Cyclones. His winning mark was 45.69 seconds to give ISU a 79-71 lead.

ISU got some breathing room after the 200-yard backstroke as Rogers came through. He captured first place with a time of 1:50.63, and Nogar finished in third place.

The Cyclones widened the margin between themselves and Iowa to fifteen points at 92-77.

The 500-yard freestyle was a clean sweep of the top three spots for ISU. In first place was deSzoeke with a time of 4:37.49. O’Neill came in second with freshman Nathan Emmett in third and the Cyclones extended their lead to 108-80.

In the three-meter diving competition, it was Chrisander again taking the win for Iowa.

The Hawkeyes also got a third place finish in the event as ISU junior Jim Zagaria placed second. ISU’s lead had diminished, but the Cyclones were still up, 115-92.

The 200-yard breaststroke was won by Iowa. The Hawkeyes also got third in the race. In second place, from ISU, was freshman Danny Binkowski. ISU led 122-104.

ISU then topped off the meet by taking first and third places in the 400 yard freestyle relay. The Cyclone relay team of senior Rob Breshears, Gahan, Skoog and de Bruin won the race with a mark of 3:01.90.

The relay team of Rogers, sophomore Doug Owen, Mitch McGinty and Franicevic got third.

“I couldn’t be happier,” said Hedrick. “We had exceptional focus all week, and the guys rose to the occasion and did what they needed to do.”

Hedrick felt the meet was won on the effort of the entire team.

“This is a total team effort,” he said. “You can look at the guys that won the events, certainly. They were key, but when you have a win like this, fifth place scores a point and we had a lot of fifth place points.”

The meet was close until the later races of the meet. Hedrick believed the 200-yard backstroke was a key point for the Cyclones.

“Brian Rogers coming through for us in the 200 back was the turning point in the second half of the meet,” he said.

This was an important meet for Iowa State.

“The biggest benefit of this meet for us is that it closes the first semester of school and training on a positive note,” Hedrick said. “We have a pretty hard-core training regimen planned for the holiday season and it really gives us a lift going into that.”

The Cyclones kick off the new year in Florida with their winter training trip, Jan. 1-9. ISU returns to action at Florida Atlantic University on Jan. 8.