More than 140 employers expected at Ag Career Fair

Sara Spangler

Many ISU students from the College of Agriculture will be sowing their r‚sum‚s among the fields of potential employers today at the Ag Career Fair in hopes of yielding long-term growth with one of the companies in attendance.

More than 140 companies are expected to attend the fair, which will be held from 9:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union.

“We expect about 1,500 to 2,000 students to attend the career fair this year,” said Mike Gaul, director of Ag Career Services.

“We’re expecting more students because the weather is better and the agricultural industry is more tight than in previous years,” he said.

Gaul said students should get dressed up and bring several copies of their r‚sum‚s to give to potential employers.

“The career fair is an opportunity for students to put companies on the spot and ask them questions,” Gaul said. “It’s mostly an opportunity for information exchange, but students may also sign up for interviews.”

Howard Tyler, dairy science adviser, said Ag Career Day is an excellent chance for ag students to network.

“It is an outstanding opportunity to meet people in the industry and get an idea of the diversity of jobs out there.”

Nicole Claeys, sophomore in horticulture, is planning on attending the fair in her search for an internship.

“It also gives me the chance to talk to different companies so that I can get an idea of where I might like to work after graduation,” she said.

In the past, the Ag Career Fair has been a success for many ISU students.

Carrie Slater, junior in dairy science, attended Ag Career Day last year, which garnered her a summer internship in California.

“I am looking forward to the potential for another positive summer experience,” she said.

A list of the companies scheduled to attend can be found at http://www.ag.iastate.edu/student/careerday.html.